Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inatake repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Inatake repair

Hi Guys,

I just received my LS6 intake that I purchased from a member on here. It was shipped UPS and packaging was a little iffy. Anyways when I opened it everything looks great except I noticed a plastic nipple laying in the box. It is the Nipple for the PCV vacuum hose that is right behind the throttle body on the passenger side of the intake. How do I repair this? The nipple fits right back in there perfectly but what is the best method to keep it there and prevent any leaks or it breaking off again? Heres my ideas:

-Use a plastic epoxy (like the dual tube one at wal-mart) and goober it up good... maybe jb weld? Suggestions?
or
-Clean the excess broken material out of the hole and install a threaded brass nipple in there? My thoughts about this though is there is only about 1/8-3/32 worth of plastic for the nipple to actually thread into and then another concern was if the brass threads protrude into the intake somewhat and it interfering with some of the intake air flow (im going for max power here) and another concern was getting the threads to seal and no leaks inbetween the threads which could be fixed with a rtv sealant id imagine.

Thought or anyone have a success story??
Attached Thumbnails Inatake repair-intake.jpg  

Last edited by chawin; 02-28-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can always drill the hole and screw in a brass barbed fitting in place of the plastic nipple, and it will hold up better just go to your local hardware store and select a similar size barbed fitting
Old 02-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Undertow74
You can always drill the hole and screw in a brass barbed fitting in place of the plastic nipple, and it will hold up better just go to your local hardware store and select a similar size barbed fitting
That was my second idea as you can see above. But my only downfalls that I see with that could be that it does not have much plastic to thread into and second if some of the threads protrude into the flow of the mouth of the intake of the intake will it disrupt airflow and maybe mess with my power gains??
Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

it wont mess with any power gains, but if you are concerned with the idea of the threads going into the intake, just cut the excess threads off to make it flush with the inside of the intake.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the broken piece fits well, then i would just rough up the area near the break. Then apply epoxy to the break, and also the area that you just roughed up. This will reinforce the repair.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...I'd do a new threaded insert and seal it with silicon or epoxy. If your concered about appearence. I'd sand the intake, then insert/epoxy...sand gently around the fixed area...then paint new (duplicolor). It never happened.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Grimes
If the broken piece fits well, then i would just rough up the area near the break. Then apply epoxy to the break, and also the area that you just roughed up. This will reinforce the repair.
Thats what I was thinking too... If I do drill it and insert a threaded nipple and it just does not work then I am at the point of no return once I drill it. But maybe the brass nipple is the way to go as it should be stronger than epoxy and such hmmmm.

so 1 for the brass nipple and 1 for the epoxy.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

just don't ever bump that hose, with plastic epoxy it will just fall right back off
Old 02-28-2013, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Undertow74
just don't ever bump that hose, with plastic epoxy it will just fall right back off
This^

I vote Brass
Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

I am going the brass route. Only found the right combo in a pipe thread so I just have to get a pipe tap to tap the hole. I will post results when I finish.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They make some epoxy called dura mix that will not fail. Its black also so it will match.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

def brass fitting and seal it up
Old 02-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Its finished, Got a 3/8" pipe thread barbed fitting. Tapped the hole, put some black RTV sealant on the threads thick and threaded it in as far as I could by hand and put the wrench on it and turned it another half of a turn. It protrudes into the intake throat by a fingernail width (about 1 thread) so I feel that it wont interfere with any air flow or such... unless someone disagrees then I will back it out and re seal but it felt good and tight and leak free going that tight. Everyone think that it will be leak free with the steps that I took?
Attached Thumbnails Inatake repair-intake1.jpg  
Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good. Now sand that intake and paint it
Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by justin hover
Looks good. Now sand that intake and paint it
I was considering that as well... you can see a picture of my car underneath my name or in my "garage" on my profile. Its red... any color suggestions?? I keep considering red but everyone does red but then again what else would make sense since its a red car besides black ha
Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did black metal metallic, and silver metal metallic for the maf/tb...http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...ZNGTJu0bM2bV2c all rattle can duplicolor...No fading or peeling after 2yrs..Still looks brand new
Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

I like the way that black metallic looks... Good choice! What did you do for prep?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

60grit...100 grit...220 grit...400....800..2000 grit sand paper in that order.. I probably overdid it, but I've never painted anything before so I wanted to make sure it was super smooth. Essentially you could go 60,220,600,1000, and be done with it.

2 light coats of duplicolor primer...3 or 5 coats of the paint (whenever your happy with color) and about 5-7 coats of clearcoat. Cost about 35$ and took about 2 days because of drying time of the paint..super easy and turned out better than expected..looks like it was done professionally

Quick Reply: Inatake repair