Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: which would you put on your car?
1 modded Magnaflow w/3.5" cutout
15.38%
2 modded GMMG/Madhammer w/3.5" cutout
23.08%
3 modded TSP Rumbler w/Borla
15.38%
4 TSP True Duals w/Sweet Thunders
46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Help me build my next exhaust....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Poll: Help me build my next exhaust....

it's time to make some changes to my 98 SS, things are getting kind of boring and i've got a little money to burn......i'm about to slap on a set of 243 LS2 heads, Ls7 lifters, and re-tune.....i have 1 3/4 Pacestters now, but might upgrade to 1 7/8 TSP's........basic bolt-ons and cam listed in sig, the rest of my current exhaust is a TSP y-pipe into a single 2.5" Thrush glasspack dumped before the axle (i'm sure it doesn't flow very well)......the car is basically a weekend driver with the occasional trip to the dragstrip......i did have TSP true duals and loved them, but i eventually got tired of the gas smell, loud drone, and interior rattling, so i recently sold them.....my TSP y is the latest design with the better merge, i plan on cutting off the 2.75" necked down section of the merge (choke point) and just using the 3.5" rear of the merge......so out of these four, tell me which exhaust you'd put on your car and why....also, any changes you'd make

1) TSP y with merge modified to 3.5"
3.5" intermediate pipe
3.5" QTP electric cutout
reduced back to 3" then over the axle to a Magnaflow #15684 catback

PROS: quiet, good flow, hopefully minimal rasp, can control loudness with cutout
CONS: ugly tips

2) TSP y with merge modified to 3.5"
3.5" QTP electric cutout
3.5" Jones glasspack 18" length
reduced back to 3" then over the axle into GMMG catback
ebay Corsa clone tips

PROS: should sound badass, hopefully minimal rasp due to glasspack in i-pipe, cutout for the dragstrip, tips would look good
CONS: GMMG is heavy, expensive

3) TSP y with merge modified to 3.5"
Borla #40086 muffler as i-pipe
reduced to 3" over the axle into a TSP Rumbler catback
two 12" Classic Chambered resonators welded just before each ebay Corsa clone tip

PROS: should be a fairly lightweight system with deep tone, nice tips
CONS: no cutout for dragstrip

4) stop being a Nancy and go back to TSP true duals with a set of 2.75" internal Sweet Thunders dumped before the axle.....after all, it is just a weekend driver

PROS: ultimate sound, excellent flow
CONS: drone, interior rattle, and this time i'll have to weld in a set of hi flow cats to kill the gas stank

Last edited by jc98ss; 02-28-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with GMMG it sounds great but it is expensive. I Wouldn't worry about the wight because it is adding it to the back and it will help the cars weight balance.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say your crazy for ditching the duals in the first place. I went through 2 catbacks and battled rasp with both before doing the right thing. Although my duals are ran out the back so interior rattle and the smell of gas is not an issue.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://madhammer.com/pages/mad_hamme...2-02_cama.html

I just noticed you had madhammer listed, but it is a good $200 cheaper than gmmg

Last edited by 94 White T/A; 03-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GMMG sounds like *** with ory IMO
Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001WS6-DJP
I would go with GMMG it sounds great but it is expensive. I Wouldn't worry about the wight because it is adding it to the back and it will help the cars weight balance.
thanks man, i hadn't looked at it that way.....don't get me wrong, i want to go fast at the strip, but it's not like i'm trying to squeeze every fraction of a second out of each run.....i think you're right, a little extra weight in the right places might make it drive a bit better on the street

Originally Posted by justin hover
I'd say your crazy for ditching the duals in the first place. I went through 2 catbacks and battled rasp with both before doing the right thing. Although my duals are ran out the back so interior rattle and the smell of gas is not an issue.
i know man, i worry that no matter what i get, i'm always going to miss my duals.....i hate the sound of rasp in our cars too, but i think by opening the back of the merge to 3.5", it should help out......I really wish TSP or another sponsor would design an aluminized copy of the Kooks TD kit with a narrow x-pipe and two over the axle, and sell it for about $650-750 less.......even if it was only 2.5" i'd order one today

Originally Posted by 94 White T/A
I just noticed you had madhammer listed, but it is a good $200 cheaper than gmmg
yep, i thought i read somewhere that GMMG and Madhammer were the exact same thing......is there an actual difference between the two or is the MH just a copy?

Originally Posted by Full-Force
GMMG sounds like *** with ory IMO
i know what you mean, the rasp from their system can be horrible if you bolt it on behind LT's and ORY.....that's why #2 has an 18" glasspack welded into the i-pipe......hopefully that along with the widened merge would be enough to tame the rasp out
Old 03-01-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MH Supplies GMMG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chambered-Ex...sories&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Poll: Help me build my next exhaust....