Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over Axle Piping!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over Axle Piping!

As the days pass, I'm getting closer and closer to fabricating my true dual system. At this point the biggest problem I have is dealing with the over the axle piping. From what I've read, it's the most complicated/expensive part of the process. I was browsing Summit the other day, and ran into these pre-bent over axle pipes:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-26088/overview/

So my question is... Would getting two of these rather than custom bends be a better option? I figure if it's that easy it would be, but I've never seen these discussed before. Or I'm not looking hard enough... Thanks all!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure..but depending on your exhaust shop it might be easier to have them fab it up. If these bends aren't dead on they'll have to bend them anyway. Any particular reason your going over instead of under?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

This is true... I don't suppose they'll charge less if they have to bend it less since the bend is already pretty much there, plus I'm supplying the piping, will they? I want it over for the sake of ground clearance/overall cleanliness. I don't want the pipes to be too visible when looking at my car from an angle. Mostly ground clearance, though...
Old 03-03-2013, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dchia
This is true... I don't suppose they'll charge less if they have to bend it less since the bend is already pretty much there, plus I'm supplying the piping, will they? I want it over for the sake of ground clearance/overall cleanliness. I don't want the pipes to be too visible when looking at my car from an angle. Mostly ground clearance, though...
The pop can right off the header collector is the lowest part of my system and I'm ran under the axle. I lost no ground clearence with the duals compared to the 2 catbacks I've ran. The mufflers are the only visable part of my system from the side. (That's with any system though). You can't see them ran under unless your head/face is level with the rear. Took about an hr and only cost about 120$. Just food for thought.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...ZNGTJu0bM2bV5g
Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, that's a lot cheaper and a lot less ground clearance loss than I thought. Definitely food for thought. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I would say your best bet would be to let them fab it up and if some of the bends they have aren't to your liking get the bend in that degree and let them replace it later but if your wanting to basically re create the kooks system I hope you've talked to some exhaust places all ready and they've looked at what they'll be dealing with. Out of about 6 exhaust shops none of them would even attempt it on my car. I'm just making sure you have something to fall back on if they refuse to do it.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No way is that over axle pipe gonna work. If you want to tackle it yourself then its gonna be from a various selection of bends pieced together.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two ways to do TDs, IMO.

1. Dumped in front of the axle
2. Fabbed to go over the axle.

Cheap *** under the axle is just that. Cheap. The ground clearance argument doesn't fly when you can't lift your car because your rear end hits the exhaust.

Do some research with some shops in your area or buy it already done....TSP, Kooks, Bassani, etc.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Two ways to do TDs, IMO.

1. Dumped in front of the axle
2. Fabbed to go over the axle.

Cheap *** under the axle is just that. Cheap. The ground clearance argument doesn't fly when you can't lift your car because your rear end hits the exhaust.

Do some research with some shops in your area or buy it already done....TSP, Kooks, Bassani, etc.
It depends on the lift. I had mine done under load. You have a good point though. I've never had that problem but I could see it being an issue depending on the setup. I recently added flanges after the mufflers for easy removal incase that happens or I need to remove this or that.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get it done the right way the first time and you won't be disappointed. Over the axle takes out the vibrations of the dumped system. Now car sounds smooth and I can actually have a conversation while driving.

Quick Reply: Over Axle Piping!