Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a lot of people strip crank threads!!! Check you bolt for damage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Why a lot of people strip crank threads!!! Check you bolt for damage!!!

Well I was looking at my GM crank bolt that I went to the GM parts department and bought and it has all kinds of nicks and damage on the threads. I could not get a nut to go on it and it would get caught about every 3 threads on a nick. NICKS EVERYWHERE. So I bought a new GM bolt from ws6store.com and it is even worse. Can't even start a nut on it the threads are so damaged everywhere it would screw the threads up in the crank for sure. Now I'm thinking back and don't even remember if I checked out my bolt before I installed my balancer last time when I screwed up the threads in my crank!!! BEWARE CHECK YOU THREADS ON YOU GM BOLT AND BE PREPARED TO FIND AN M16X2 TAP AND DIE FOR IT!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another reason why I disregarded/ignored what everyone on here (and elsewhere) says about not needing the ARP balancer/damper bolt, and to save the coin on that.

I had it even BEFORE I got the Fluidampr which is going on soon.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

So you got a bad bolt, fine

Doesnt mean everyone gets bad bolts and rams them in there

Stripped cranks are primarily from using the bolt to pull the balancer back on
Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

you can also use a thread file on bad threads.............EVERY tool box should have 1 !!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pocket

Did the title say "why everyone strips there crank threads" No it doesn't... I didn't say anywhere in my thread that people should pulley a balancer on with a stock bolt or that it was okay to do soo.... You comment is useless to this thread. I simply posted this to help people in the future so they make sure to check there bolt before putting it in. I wouldn't start a post if I got ONE bad bolt. This is the FOURTH LS1 GM crank bolt in a ROW that has had horribly damaged threads that I could barely start a nut on... And I bought the bolts from 2 completely different places on different dates so It has to be a widespread problem.....
Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
you can also use a thread file on bad threads.............EVERY tool box should have 1 !!!!!!!!
Yes I thought about cleaning them up that way, but an older mechanic told me that you need to have a specialpe file for bolts with different type threads...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

have you ever seen a thread file? it has all the different size threads on it......check one out and get back to me

get a standard AND a metric one
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Launching!

I've personally used 3 gm crank bolts on mine and literally never had a problem at all. Yea they have Knicks here and there but I've never had to force it in the crank snout.

I've also used gm bolts on other fbodys, and ls2, and 3 and never had any problems.
I think I'm on 7 cars now and never had a problem with any of them. All of them ordered with Either gm parts Counter or with ws6 store. Just my .2 cents
Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket

Yup..I would say most of the folks on this site crying about a stripped crank is from trying to pull the balancer on with the bolt.

People are too cheap to buy the correct install tool and/or a quality ARP bolt.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Never had a problem with a stock gm crank bolt
Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Bought an ARP due to cam issues and needing to pull and re-install the crank pulley. Tired of buying stock crank bolts that are one time use. That and I live out of town, so basically the money I save not having to go buy a new crank bolt every time I pull the balancer easily justified the ARP.

Good info for those who do have issues with stocker bolts OP. I say, spend the little bit extra, get the re-usable ARP and be done with it.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Upon viewing the quality of ARP hardware after a recent tour of their facilities, I am most definitely a customer for life. I love the fact that their bolts are reusable. The increased price is well worth it for the peace of mind gained imo.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, way to jump down the OP's throat! he was just trying to help lol!

For those who don't know too, another way you can mess up your crank threads is when pulling the old balancer.

You can place a socket between the balancer puller and the crank when you use the puller. This way you are not jamming the tool into your crank threads.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Grimes
Wow, way to jump down the OP's throat! he was just trying to help lol!

For those who don't know too, another way you can mess up your crank threads is when pulling the old balancer.

You can place a socket between the balancer puller and the crank when you use the puller. This way you are not jamming the tool into your crank threads.
I can't speak for all LS engines, but the threads in my crank don't begin until about an inch or so in. No way to booger up threads with the puller
Old 03-09-2013, 02:22 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree guys. Anybody who's worth their socket set should "upgrade" to the ARB bolt the very first time the original bolt gets removed.

Quick Reply: Why a lot of people strip crank threads!!! Check you bolt for damage!!!