Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fbody Dynatech driver header help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fbody Dynatech driver header help!!!

So today I was installing the dynatech headers and completed installing the passenger side, but when I went to the driver side that dam header did not want to go in. From the bottom the last tube kept hitting the corner of the trans (6speed) and like the sticky said they go in from the bottom but I tried a
From the top and had more luck just that the driving shaft or steering something was a bit in the way then went back to the bottom same thing kept hitting that corner were the the car floor angles and the trans then it fell on me and I called it a day...help
Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Here is where it hits^^^... that circle that is not close to the others points to the control arm i think and not the driving shaft thing...
Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Morning bump... Read a bit last night ill have to grind the k member and massage the firewall anybody done this before?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried lowering or jacking the motor up to shift the motor towards the passenger side?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bene
Have you tried lowering or jacking the motor up to shift the motor towards the passenger side?
Re trying now and saw the firewall was the culprit and the k member I'm trying to massage the firewall a bit and see if I don't have to grind the k member it clears the motor mount and the small tab on the engine most say may need grinding also clears
Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Does anybody know if I can lower the k member from the driver side just by disconnecting all bolts from there and the mount plus some from the middle, but leave the passenger bolts untouched
Old 03-10-2013, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Well its finally done here is some pics for the ones that might need it:

Firewall Massaged

K member

And finally does anybody know what is this sensor called i kinda broke it:
Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by 99WS6_
Well its finally done here is some pics for the ones that might need it:

And finally does anybody know what is this sensor called i kinda broke it:
That's your Engine coolant sensor. You kinda need it.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Trunion King

Does anybody know if I can lower the k member from the driver side just by disconnecting all bolts from there and the mount plus some from the middle, but leave the passenger bolts untouched
I wish I saw this sooner. You could have loosen the bolts on both sides but not completely take them out. You only needed a smidge of room to get it fit through that space.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you have the wrong Dynatech header model...

the F-car Dynatech Supermaxx header model will fit right in very easily (remove engine oil filter first) without any of the problems/massaging you're experiencing..
Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everyone said that about kooks, too...but i had to go help a friend put a set on a 01 ws6. same issue. header just was not going in. we got it, but it wasn't as easy as the interwebz portrayed. fyi i've done maybe 10 header installs. by far the kooks install was the worst.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
everyone said that about kooks, too...but i had to go help a friend put a set on a 01 ws6. same issue. header just was not going in. we got it, but it wasn't as easy as the interwebz portrayed. fyi i've done maybe 10 header installs. by far the kooks install was the worst.
Thats weird, Kooks on my car took some pushing but then it slid right in..
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bene
I wish I saw this sooner. You could have loosen the bolts on both sides but not completely take them out. You only needed a smidge of room to get it fit through that space.
Lol thanks but I needed to saw it anyways since there was still tight clearance and bumped at idle...this came off a 99 Ss guess what year is my car...but holy mother of god when I had to take this to the exhaust shop my ears almost bleed and don't forget to pick up any lose change you have around the console lmao
Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joecar

the F-car Dynatech Supermaxx header model will fit right in very easily (remove engine oil filter first) without any of the problems/massaging you're experiencing..
Did remove oil filter and are the right year since it has egr and air pipes on it (blocked off now) but you know headers can never come out exactly the same they can be off a bend or something (don't really know how they're made )
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s346k
For the arm and leg I was about to give them those things better had slide in there lol
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had those headers in the supermax system. Had a thread on here a few years back. I dont recall having big issues. Maybe they were tight but not bad. It was a pretty nice setup.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did remove oil filter and are the right year since it has egr and air pipes on it (blocked off now) but you know headers can never come out exactly the same they can be off a bend or something (don't really know how they're made )
They're made using a jig, they're supposed to come out identical.

There is a difference between the Supermax and non-Supermaxx headers from Dynatech.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joecar

I've installed my DynaTech SuperMaXX headers twice (when I lived in Germany I had to remove them for "excessive noise" ). Anyhow, I never had the problems you mentioned. It was absolutely mandatory to remove the oil filter to install them, but other than that.... I had them in place in under 10min. Installed both from underneath the car.

So.... not really sure what was causing your issues

Oh, as others stated. The coolant Temp sensor you broke is needed. The PCM uses it for fueling calculations. Car will be all f'd up if you run it without.

Quick Reply: Fbody Dynatech driver header help!!!