Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankcase ventilation/pcv delete help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crankcase ventilation/pcv delete help

I recently installed a 408 from Texas Speed. They recommend better ventilation for the crankcase. Is the current pcv system not enough?
It would be easiest to just add breather/ filters on each valve cover, but I hear that can make a mess. Also I would just delete the current pcv system completely.
I read people saying add a catch can, but a vented one would cause a vacuum leak.
Could you please point me in the right direction so I can do this right?
If I'm just supposed to add breather/ filters. Could you help with part numbers for one for the oil cap and one for the hole the pcv valve was in?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-12-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

duals filters on each valve cover, and a catch can, and dont forget the crossover tube in the back to connect the valve covers.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Do you leave the pcv system in place?
Where would you install the catch can? The pcv valve side or the other side? I think I get a little oil out of the other side (clean side??).
Does anybody have any part numbers?
I've read a lot of the write ups on here. There a little confusing and I see different opinions.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend running a new style ls6 valley cover with the integrated pcv built in. Run the line from there to a catch can and from the can to your intake. Be sure to keep the fresh air line that runs from the throttle body the front of the valve cover on the passenger side attached. If your naturally aspirated there's no need for anything more.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Exactly what he said ^
Old 03-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Thank you for the replies.
I am running a supercharger. I think I'm getting oil from the line on the passenger side valve cover in my intake tube.
So, I have to do more than just add breathers on each side. It looks like I have to run catch cans on both lines??? What about the added ventilation? I don't want to cause a vacuum leak.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

Oh in that case run the 04+ ls6 valley cover and a catch can with a breather on it. Do not run it back to the intake. Block off that port accordingly so it holds up to your boost

About that other line to you tb, I am not sure. I think people that run boost just block that off. If I were you I would ask this question in the forced induction section.

Last edited by Slowbird780; 03-17-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, revxtreme makes a can that has a dual valve operation in it so that under boost it blocks off the can keeping your boost from pressurizing the crank case. Just something to look into especially if your supercharged.

The line that runs from the throttle body to the passenger side cover is the fresh air side of the PCV system and must be kept seperated from the dirty side that runs from the valley cover to your can and from your can to the intake and supercharger.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the MightyMouse catch can. It will work perfect for your supercharger. I used it with my blower and now with my turbo setup. The can is designed for boost. If you do a search you will find tons of information and a diagram, plus Dave sells them at a great price. Just send him a PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great info here. Give it a read when you get the time and before you make any decisions.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Launching!

There's a lot of info on that page you linked. Thank you.
From what I've read, I need to keep the line to the intake manifold to let the vacuum suck out the gasses. Also, after more reading, breathers might just make a mess.

Here's some additional info on my set up. I have a line from my air intake tube to my passenger side valve cover and a line from my driver side valve cover to the intake. PCV valve in driver side valve cover. There's only 1 nipple on the passenger valve cover. Also I don't have a crossover line. I'd rather not do the LS6 valley cover.
It seems like I only get oil/water in my intake tube. Maybe a teaspoon. This is from my passenger side. I would guess I need a catch can on this side only. Do you think I need a second can for the driver side?
What about the "added ventilation" that is recommended for stroker motors? I keep reading about the vented can letting in unmetered air. Not sure if this is good or bad.
I would like to get this figured out so I can get my final tuning done. (with your help, of course)

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1578410-catch-can-results.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...1474536&page=3

Here's a few links. I would buy a proper vented can like this that seals when it's suppose too.

Quick Reply: Crankcase ventilation/pcv delete help