Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Power Steering Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Power Steering Noise

Alright guys,

So Yesterday after my alternator went out and got it replaced with a 03 Tahoe's 145amp alternator i was finally able to find where i have been having a power steering leak. For the longest time my under carage was always soacked and after having time to track it i found out that the Power steering high pressure line had a needle size hole right under the resevoir. Every time i turned the steering wheel to its max rotation the line would skirt oil out. It would do the same no matter which direction i turned the wheel.

So i got the high pressure line changed and no leaks. Well this morning after i exited the highway on my way to work, as i made a sharp turn my power steering whinned and whined for a sec as i was headed straight. Every turn i made whined loud as if i didn't have oil.

When i got to my parking lot i checked to see if the resevoir had oil which it did a little too much i would say even though i double checked it last night.

Do you guys think i missed needing to do something after i swapped the high pressure line? before i take off home i'm going to absorb with a rag a bit of that excess power steering in the resevoir but not sure if i need to do something else when swapping a line.

All help is appreciated
Old 03-14-2013, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

i think i need to bleed the system but how do i do that?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

i found this, http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#psflush

what i never did was turn the wheels while inginition off and the car was up in the air. I did turn the wheels after turning the ignition fully on to see if the hose still sprayed power steering fluid like it did before.

I thought there was going to be more to bleeding it but i guess not. I want to make sure that the fluid is properly circulating like it was and not sound as if it was dry when turning the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Help with Power Steering Noise