Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about a do-it yourself coolant pipe for the LS6 conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about a do-it yourself coolant pipe for the LS6 conversion.

I am swapping to an ls6 intake, I don't want to pay $20-$35 for a frickin pipe that goes accross the front. Can I take the stock ls1 pipe and bent it after it T's? Could I weld this? Could I use epoxy? Could I use a tube and a bolt? What would be the best way to do this??
thanks
-Steve
Old 04-21-2004, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

I paid too much money for my front 01 style crossover pipe, so your question go me thinking....you could take your old one and make cuts (red arrows) in the pipe, then use a brake line flaring tool to flare the ends. Cut some heater hose to match and tighten it together with hose clamps. If I thought of it sooner, I would have done it. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by furiouSS99
I paid too much money for my front 01 style crossover pipe, so your question go me thinking....you could take your old one and make cuts (red arrows) in the pipe, then use a brake line flaring tool to flare the ends. Cut some heater hose to match and tighten it together with hose clamps. If I thought of it sooner, I would have done it. Good luck.

that seems like a great idea, where can you get a brake flare tool? do they rent them at like autozone or pepboys or wherever? do you know what size the tube is?
Old 04-21-2004, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

We don't have autozones or pepboys here, but I'd be willing to bet they would do a single flare on your cut ends for free if you brought them down and explained. If not, any brake&muffler place would do it (free or minimum charge, like a couple of bucks). The hose in the pic is 11/32" ID and it fits the smaller sized line a little loose and the bigger size just right...you could cut one of the lines on the back of the pipe so you had 2 identical pipe sizes-make sure you tighten those hose clamps up good too.

Damm, I paid 60 bucks at my dealership for that new pipe!
Old 04-21-2004, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

so you cant buy a tool to do it or what? im gonna have to do this again for my car so id rather have the tool.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

sure you can buy the tool, any decent auto parts store should have it-I was just thinking about the cheapest way to make the pipe.

P.S.-if you've never used a flare tool before, find out how (book, friend, mechanic, whatever) and practice on some scrap tubing first...its relatively easy to make a single flare but practice makes perfect.