Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! Y pipe problem

Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help!!! Y pipe problem

Ok. I just finished installing TSP 1 3/4 longtube headers, TSP ORY and prothane motor mounts. Got multiple problems. My biggest concern is the Ypipe fit horribly and his actually pressing up against the driver side floor board and bangs like crazy when driven. It fits so awkwardly under the car that I wasn't even close to being able to bolt up the Y pipe crossbar underneath, to top it off, I think I either killed my alternator while installing them. OOOOOOH this has been a terrible couple of days. I can fix the alternator myself, anyone got any tips for getting this Y pipe to fit right? Will try to post pics tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure about the fitment as far as hitting the floor but if your talking about the brace that bolts up the same as the transmission crossmember that will have to be removed in order for the Y to fit. I think its called a body brace. Check and make sure you didn't somehow damage the wiring with the header. Its a fairly common thing for the wire to pull out of the plug in since its only 1 wire not sure about how possible it would be with the header though.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Ok. I gave up. No matter how much I turn the driver side pipe coming off the collector I couldn't get even an 1/8" of space between the pipe and the driver side floorboard brace. Out of frustration I decided to try to physically mod the pipe and instead caused the ends to get out of round. Taking it to my exhaust guy tomorrow to let him work with it and to maybe even fab something up.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Just to finish up this thread. Went to my exhaust guy and he flattened out the pipe coming off the collector on the drivers side making the pipe fit much better. He also had to modify My I pipe to make everything fit correctly. Very happy with the final results. No more banging and now I just need a retune. Think I have some slight pinging going on.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you alert TSP? Not that it would do any good. They would have told you that you were doing something wrong and that there is no way something could be wrong with the y pipe or headers. Trust me I know this, but still you should have contacted them.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my TSP long tubes and ORY pipe last night and fit awesome! I can see how someone could easily piece some of the pipes in the wrong order... There is one straight pipe about a foot long and its actually got a little bend/dip in it to clear the floor on the drivers side. If you dont use that one there and spin it so that its orientation is the right way then it will hit the floor. I ended up pulling up the picture from their website to see which order the pipes go in and it fits awesome. I have plenty of clearance between the floor and the headers and ORY pipe. I also just installed the Poly motor mounts as well and still fit great.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

I assembled them in the right order. I took them to my exhaust guy and he thinks my driver side header collector is slightly angled up a little and that caused the problem. He welded the Y pipe together and flattended out the part going under the seat. Clears great now. Also had to modify my Hooker Catback exhaust. For some reason the TSP Y pipe was about 3 inches longer than the factory Y pipe. All is good now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!!! Y pipe problem