Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant sending unit location

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant sending unit location

I'm getting ready to install a pillar pod with some gauges, one of which will be for coolant temp. I know it is common to use the plug that is near the rear of the passenger head which is 1/8 NPT to M12 P1.5 I believe. However I found this tee fitting that is claimed can go in the stock location and allow both the aftermarket sending unit and the stock to pull the temp from the same location at once.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/1-8-n...g-adapter.aspx

Has anyone used this tee fitting before? It would be more preferable than trying to install a fitting into the back of the passenger head while the engine is still in the car. Also, if you have used this fitting, would I still need the 1/8 NPT to M12 adapter or is there already one that the stock sending unit is connected to?

Thanks gang!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

You would need to find an adapter fitting to mount that t-fitting to the cylinder head.

This is what I used to put my aftermarket sensor to the rear passenger side head: http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105...oductId=749158

My stock temp sensor is till in the front of the driver side head.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS.666
You would need to find an adapter fitting to mount that t-fitting to the cylinder head.

This is what I used to put my aftermarket sensor to the rear passenger side head: http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105...oductId=749158

My stock temp sensor is till in the front of the driver side head.
Right, I know that I will need the NPT to M12x1.5 if I wanted to use the rear of the passenger head as the location. What I am trying to find out is if anyone has used a tee fitting like this to double up on the front driver's head location and if it gives out accurate reading still since the sending unit probes will no longer be sticking directly into the head and the coolant flow. I want to avoid using the rear head location if possible because it's a bit of a PITA to get to with the engine still in the car.

And that Autometer fitting horribly overpriced. Yikes!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Well since that fitting tee is for 1/8npt you won't be able to put the stock sensor in it.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS.666
Well since that fitting tee is for 1/8npt you won't be able to put the stock sensor in it.
Ah well. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and install it in the back of the passenger head. I better get some cash ready for the swear jar.

Quick Reply: Coolant sending unit location