Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason not to do an alternation relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any reason not to do an alternation relocation?

I own a 2002 Z28 Camaro with roughly 86k on it. I have a few maintenance things coming up and in the process I’m planning to upgrade. These upgrades include a step up to a 200amp alternator, battery, starter, power and ground cables, belts (since they are squealing), SLP Harmonic balancer..

Now, in this process I was also going to replace the belt tensioners despite them likely being good, but in that research I came across this relocation bracket: http://www.cbrperformanceproducts.co...tCode=06072011 Instead of upgrading the tensioner would there be any reason not to go with this setup since I’m replacing several things(outside of this being a turbo option)? Is there any downside to eliminating belt tensioners? I still run my AC which I’m aware is on its own belt. Any/all input is appreciated! I did try and search and didn’t find detailed info on what I’m looking for… thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The alternator looks like poop up on top of the motor like that. Leave it where it is and get the tensioner.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by djfury05
The alternator looks like poop up on top of the motor like that. Leave it where it is and get the tensioner.
Outside of looks though, nothing mechanically bad?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No.. might be harder to get the belt on that's it.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

The only real advantage to that location which I can see is that it keeps the alternator out of deep water on a daily driver (which is about a half of a percent of the owners on here) driven in areas prone to flooding.

That, and it's easier to change if it does puke out.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I hit a big puddle and it surged my battery. When I got out I could hear the battery boiling. I'd definetely consider relocating it.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Banned

the main reason to doing the alt relocation is because the 4th gen's have the power steering pump right above the alternator and they have been known to leak/boil over ps fluid down onto the alternator, frying them prematurely. Not to mention they are a PITA to get to when you have a large front swaybar. I would want my alternator up top and probably will one day, plus it will save you some wire when you do the BIG 3.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The real question - Is there any reason TO do an alternator relocation? PS leaking and water are ridiculous reasons for crapping up your engine bay. Save your money....

Quick Reply: Any reason not to do an alternation relocation?