Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bolt on's with no tune??

Old 03-27-2013, 05:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolt on's with no tune??

Something really needs to be done about the shitty search function on this site because I'm sure this has been asked and answered but i can't find ****!!

I've been collecting some simple bolt on's because i continue to change my mind about what I want to do with the car, I want to know if I'll hurt anything by installing header back exhaust(no cats) ported tb, a bellow and lid and keeping stock tune for now?? I've thrown the idea around about boosting the car or spraying it or just heads cam but idfk what i want to do BUT, I don't want to pay for a ton of tunes. The cars no longer a daily and honestly with work I maybe put 2,000 miles on the car last year.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
Something really needs to be done about the shitty search function on this site because I'm sure this has been asked and answered but i can't find ****!!

I've been collecting some simple bolt on's because i continue to change my mind about what I want to do with the car, I want to know if I'll hurt anything by installing header back exhaust(no cats) ported tb, a bellow and lid and keeping stock tune for now?? I've thrown the idea around about boosting the car or spraying it or just heads cam but idfk what i want to do BUT, I don't want to pay for a ton of tunes. The cars no longer a daily and honestly with work I maybe put 2,000 miles on the car last year.
If you don't like the search function on the site go to google and type "ls1tech (whatever you want to search)" without quotes. I.e. Google search ls1tech stalled A4 2.73 quarter mile

You don't NEED a retune but it is recommended. It'll throw check engine light with those mods so if emissions is a problem you'll need a tune, otherwise it'll just be annoying have the light on, at least to some people. Without a tune you obviously won't get power gains as high as you would with a tune and gas mileage will also go down without a tune because it will run a little richer and that needs to be fixed in the tune. You can do a Frost mail order tune, I think they're still $150. But a lot of full dyno shops give repeat customers a discount. The original dyno/street tune for my car at Complete Street was $300, future tunes are $150.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
If you don't like the search function on the site go to google and type "ls1tech (whatever you want to search)" without quotes. I.e. Google search ls1tech stalled A4 2.73 quarter mile

You don't NEED a retune but it is recommended. It'll throw check engine light with those mods so if emissions is a problem you'll need a tune, otherwise it'll just be annoying have the light on, at least to some people. Without a tune you obviously won't get power gains as high as you would with a tune and gas mileage will also go down without a tune because it will run a little richer and that needs to be fixed in the tune. You can do a Frost mail order tune, I think they're still $150. But a lot of full dyno shops give repeat customers a discount. The original dyno/street tune for my car at Complete Street was $300, future tunes are $150.
yea I know about the return customer prices, a couple of friends have been thru the loops, I'm getting married in 1.5yrs and hopefully buyin a house this time next year so I'm not trying to throw the money at multiple tunes, I'd much rather just wait until I know what I'm doing and tune it right once. And I know about google searching ls1tech but when I did it nothing came up and when i search it now the only thread that pops up is this one.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sometimes you need to try different words, I actually still didn't get great results but instead of searching for ls1tech bolt ons no tune, if you searched for ls1tech bolt ons untuned you would have gotten - https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-bolt-ons.html

I'm getting married myself hopefully in 1.5 years and buying a house this year...my car is taking a backseat. I'm not spending any money on it whatsoever besides gas and any maintenance that pops up.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

youl be fine without a tune, youll just have the check engine light on because it will throw some codes because of the ORY and it might run a little rich which will hurt your gas milage a little bit. you can get a mail order tune from frost that will set you back like $165 after shipping.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

OP just cam your car, nitrous is fancy and all but there is nothing like a ls1 that sounds like sex through idle and WOT. +1 for the cam
Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

ls-one congrats! yea i probably shouldn't do anything with my car either but thats why I'm just not going crazy with it yet.

z28SSilvest I'm more leaning towards a cam and nitrous if i go that route lol theres a few disgusting mustangs around that I'd like to take down lol
Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

ls-one congrats! yea i probably shouldn't do anything with my car either but thats why I'm just not going crazy with it yet.

z28SSilvest I'm more leaning towards a cam and nitrous if i go that route lol theres a few disgusting mustangs around that I'd like to take down lol
Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

A tune is not needed for bolt ons, save the money for a cam and then have it tuned.

Good luck with the marriage!

Chad
Old 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Hahah gotta love mustang drivers and their ego! Youll probably pull on them with just headers and a full exhaust
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
Hahah gotta love mustang drivers and their ego! Youll probably pull on them with just headers and a full exhaust
not quite, theres a few in the area that are monsters, like 9.80-10.50 cars lol
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

and thanks chad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bolt on's with no tune??