Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really need some clutch help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really need some clutch help!

Alright guys, here is my situation. I just put a new spec clutch in my car. before hand my car was difficult to get into gear sometimes and especially at high rpms so I figured its the master for sure.. now that I put in the new clutch I cant get it in to gear at all when the car is on and the only way and I can shift is with rev matching.. ive bled everything and no change. I ordered a new master but havent installed it yet.

My question is, I had my flywheel resurfaced.. should I have installed the spacer that came with the clutch kit? My friend just did this same clutch in his gto and didnt need it.. please someone give me some insight. I would rather return this tick master cylinder and just put in the spacer if thats my problem..
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

also to add. In the instructions for the clutch it said most cars dont need the spacer. My car had a centerforce in it before with no spacer and it didnt have these issues
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

I've always put the spacer in and still use an adjustable master cylinder to get the pedal feel the way I want it. I would definitely put the spacer in if you had the flywheel turned. Even with the spacer I've found that stock master cylinders still don't release the clutch the way I like it to. The tick master cylinder is a very nice piece but I always use the RAM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by badassracing
I've always put the spacer in and still use an adjustable master cylinder to get the pedal feel the way I want it. I would definitely put the spacer in if you had the flywheel turned. Even with the spacer I've found that stock master cylinders still don't release the clutch the way I like it to. The tick master cylinder is a very nice piece but I always use the RAM.
The spacer goes between the slave and the trans right? Im thinking without the spacer My slave just doesnt move far enough to disengage my clutch? does that sound right? I guess Ill use the new master anyway though
Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone else have experience with this or have any advice/input?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Nobody?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

their is a process you need to measure a few things. the only cluth ive had that required none is monster https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html
Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Launching!

click that link. very easy to follow
Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, you need to measure to determine whether you need a shim. Adjusting the MC to give additional travel isn't the proper way to do it.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear you went with spec,i just went threw a stage 3 in 40 days before winter,lets start off by saying it was shimmed correct and installed by a very reputable speed shop in my area that is well aware of specs issues,i never once raced the car, did the break in perfect,ok so one day i was driving and the clutch completely crapped out,i thought for sure that it was a master/slave issue,i mean it couldnt be the clutch and flywheel its all new right,so i take my car in and i get a call a few days later,they said umm you need a new clutch, they were just as shocked as i was,i mean my flywheel had major hot spots,disc material was pretty much gone,and a few rivits at that,it looked like it came out of a 300,000 mile race car,now remind you this doesnt even have 900miles on it yet(i drive alot for work) then i tried getting it under warranty, well thats almost impossible,1. I was told it was installed wwrong ( we proved that to not be why) 2.i was told the break in period wasnt done right ( i said your right im going to drop that kind of cash and not do that correct) 3. This was what i was told was the final say so before they tell you to screw off , i was told debris caused this and they couldnt do much for me,i said ok we shoveled a huge amount of dirt in the trans before putting it back in,then i was told i could send it in, i was pissed like you wouldnt believe at this point,and like i said from researching thats the screw you line,got a monster, and havent had one issue what soever,that pos stage 3 cost me alot of money,i dont do trans work nor do i have a race car,its only a cammed with bolt ons,i hope you just have a cylinder problem,just beware of that company,never again will i buy there crap or ever tell someone to buy there crap,they acted like there product couldnt have failed,but yet there was more fails than just mine,again i feel screwed by them,just making you aware of if it is a clutch what your in for again i hope thats not your issue but sounds like how mine started,
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now some love spec,even the speed shop i go to recommends them,like i said i have almost 3gs in for a damn clutch,pisses me off that i could have had a twin disc for what i have in a clutch that a go kart can burn out,ok im done,if something happens and its a issue get a hold of me,i have a few people at this point that had the same issue that i have had,keep us posted man and good luck,
Old 04-25-2013, 03:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ls7 clutch and flywheel

Quick Reply: Really need some clutch help!