Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help 5.3 issue need suggestions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 5.3 issue need suggestions..

So my truck is not wanting to start anymore. Here is what happened leading up to where I am now. I was driving and I could tell that the power was dying off due to my radio turning on and off by itself. I turned the truck off and could never get it to start again. I tried jumping it and even charging the battery.

Now all that happens when I turn the key is the starter clicks and nothing more. Simple right? Bad alternator, battery, starter, battery cable. I've checked all three a autozone and they all checked out fine. I even replaced the positive battery cable and that didn't do anything. The negative battery cable was replaced just a short while back.

Any thoughts or ideas?

By the way this is a 2004 silverado 1500 4x4

Last edited by ChewMT; 03-28-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Man I was really hoping for some quick sage wisdom from someone on here. The only other thing that I can even think of being a possibility is maybe my ground connection on the passenger side of my engine block. I'll give that a look when I get home.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Ive had an alternator tested before and it passed when it was tested and it was on a fancy digital tester too so installed it again and still had charging issues. I went over everything a million times and went with what my knowledge told me and just bought another new alternator and the problem was fixed. Not all tests are accurate. As far as it being the alternator I would rule that out as of now because it still will not do anything even when jumped. If it were me... I would jump the starter solenoid to confirm the started is good but first make sure all of your connections are tight and clean from the battery to the starter. Make sure all of your grounds including the recently replaced ground is clean and tight and seated good. Check all grounds... there should be a couple ground straps going to the engine as well.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Issue solved, in case anyone has a related issue. It was as I was thinking bad ground connection. I scrubbed the connection with a wire brush and the issue was solved.

Quick Reply: Help 5.3 issue need suggestions..