Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering whine after Pressure Line swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering whine after Pressure Line swap

So i had a bad leaking Power Steering Pressure line that i replaced. After i replaced it some how the power steering starts to whine after a bit of driving. uppon opening the lid to the PS oil resevoir when i turn the steering wheel either way i see fine bubbles appear on the surface of the oil which is letting me know that it might be sucking air somewhere.

I could swear that i tighten the PS pressure line pretty good so as soon as i get a chance i'm going to get under to re check the line as well as the one plugged into the resevoir.

Does anybody have any tips what else to look for or check as i have no idea where it might be sucking air or if that is even my problem.

I need some advice as this is pretty annoying after a half our drive it whines pretty loud when turning the steering wheel. When start up and driving the car there after the PS is fine. It starts to whine after a regular drive.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

You have air in your fluid that was introduced when you replaced the pressure hose.put front of car on jackstands tk take the weight off the steering and reduce stress. Turn the wheel back and forth lock to lock several times and that should help get most of it out. Ive had luck with lucas power steering fix on some really stubborn ones.hth
Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

i tried that as well after i notice it the first time, raised the car and put the ignition on the on position with motor off and rolled the steering wheel side to side. It helped a bit and then it went away for a bit and now its back again as if i hadn't purge the line. I know alot of air had to be introduced when replacing the line so should i roll the steering wheel for much longer time this time.

Mine sounds like your previous stubborn ones you have had lol.

So Lucas sells a product that helps remove air within the system
Old 04-03-2013, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Ive always done them with the engine running and front wheels off the ground. Maybe the pressure provided by a running pump is helpful im no expert its just what worked for me. And the stubborn one was a lexus sc300. I dont think lucas product removes air from the system but apparently sitting overnight with the stuff allowed the air to escape from the fluid
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

yesterday i turned the wheel side to side withe the motor running and the car wheels sitting on the ground. Alot of air was surfacing but this morning it whinned a bit less than it did yesterday. Gotta get this fix as its hella annoying.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Just to clarify when i said several times lock to lock i meant turn the wheel as far as it will go to the left then back as far as it will go to the right. Do this a minimum of 10 times in each direction. More wont hurt make sure front tires are off the ground to minimize the stress on the pump. Shut engine down and let it sit as long as possible so all the bubbles escape. Good luck
Old 04-03-2013, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Thanks and i deff understood your lock to lock instruction :-). last time i did about 20 or a bit more each direction but my mistake was capping the reservoir after i was done. This time i'm going to leave it uncapped with the hood open so i will remember to cap the reservoir in the morning.

Thanks

If anyone else has anything else that i should check or pay attention to feel free to add to this threat.

Quick Reply: Power Steering whine after Pressure Line swap