Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Knock sensor question

I have a 98 TA and the knock sensors are bad (low voltage code) imagine that. Since the 98's were known for false knock and retarding timing up to 4* I'm just gonna go ahead and update to '99-'02 knock sensors and wiring harness. Now just to be sure all I need is the updated knock sensors and updated harness, correct.

The part numbers I've found are:

Knock sensor 12589867

Wiring harness 12601822

Thanks for your time guys, also could you let me know if you bought these parts where did you buy them from.

Thanks
Jason
Old 04-06-2013, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a '98 as well and used to have the false knock of 3.9 degrees regularly. I did an LS6 longblock swap back in '04 and just replaced the knock sensors with new ones, but still ones for a '98, and it fixed my problem. GM put out a service bulletin about the false knock being caused from moisture getting in the holes where the sensors are mounted and the solution was to build a "dam" with silicone before installing new sensors. I mention this just to point out that updating sensors and harness may or may not solve the problem and there's no need spending the money if it's not necessary if all you need to do is just replace the sensors.

Quick Reply: Knock sensor question