Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is too stinking quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Car is too stinking quiet!

Hey guys, I have a 99 T/A. All stock (on purpose), with a Flowmaster muffler (eh). It's way too quiet. I want to remain legal-ish (i.e. no cat deletion). I'm thinking I'm going to get a cutout (the DMH one, as of now) and a new cat. What is the best no-modification cat I can get with this setup? Any other advice? Thanks!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If sound is the only thing you want. I would just have an exhaust shop make a Y and delete the muffler. I had a 2000 SS that way. It was stone stock other than that and it honestly sounded pretty good. It still wasn't rediculously loud but it made a good amount of difference.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 AM
Launching!

True, but I really want the ability to control when my exhaust is loud, since I live in a neighborhood with old people that complain if you fart too loud... I just really want to know what is the best cat out there. Is it Magnaflow? If so, what model will bolt right up with stock and give me the best sound/flow?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup get a cutout and don't look back. I got mine a few weeks ago and love being in control of my exgaust. And the sound ooooohhhhh lol
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by birner88
Yup get a cutout and don't look back. I got mine a few weeks ago and love being in control of my exgaust. And the sound ooooohhhhh lol
Agreed. DMH electric cutout is the way to go. Loud when you want it to be, and quiet when you dont.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

I would honestly stay away from DMH from what I understand its just one guy running a shop and he is near impossible to get ahold of I ordered my cut out from his direct website over a month sgo and it still hasn't showed up I've tried calling him multiple times and have left messages with now reply. A lot of members on this board have had many problems with the electronic motor going out way sooner than expected. I would personally look at the qtp cutouts. After researching the message board I came to a conclusion that getting a cutout was too much of a headache I went with the SLP Loudmouth 2 cat back and never looked back might not be as loud as the cut out but sounds way cleaner and is still pretty tame got mine for $359 shipped to my door easy install too. I recently added some tsp long tubes and off road y pipe car sounds amazing way better than any cut out I've heard. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

one more vote for QTP or you might end up creating yet another one of those DHM complaint threads.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cutout sounds aweful. Get you a TSP rumber or SLP LM1 and cal it a day.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Loudmouth does sounds sick! But is the loudmouth so loud that my neighbors are going to hate me? And I commute 60 miles a day on the freeway, so how is the drone? (Crazy loud I'd imagine...?)
Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Launching!

And I have to have a muffler for emissions... And I take it the LM is not emission legal? Dang...now I want the LM...!!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big_g
And I have to have a muffler for emissions... And I take it the LM is not emission legal? Dang...now I want the LM...!!
Tech any modded exhaust is illegal.
If you want loud get a loudmouth 1 and a cam. It doesn't get any worse.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you only have a visual inspection then either gut the cat or cut the ends and weld a strait pipe through it. Worked for me for many years until Oklahoma stopped doing state vehicle inspections.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Ok, I've listened to some LM1 and LM2 setups and I'm sold. Screw the neighbors and screw emissions! Now, with everything else stock I want to go with the LM1s over the LM2s, right? (Just a little worried about the freeway drone - your thoughts?).

Just curious, is the install easy enough that can I bolt up the LM myself in my garage?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Not really any difference in a muffler delete than a LM1. A LM1 is just a 4" hollow case. You'll just be about 350 bucks less in debt. Not to mention longtubes, ory, and a LM1 is the most god awful sound you could hear in your life, if you did decide to throw some headers on it one day.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

@VandykeT/A
That might be true BUT after longtubes you could throw in a Magnaflow bullet or Borla XR-1 in place of the SLP resonator and have a good sound, that's what I did when I used to have my F-Body
Old 04-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Oh man you guys are confusing me now... I have to remain emissions legal, so the cat has to stay (hence no LTs ever ). So in light of that, I'm either going with:
1) Stock with better cat (Magnaflow?) andQTP cutout (leaving my flowmaster muffler)
2) Stock with QTP cutout
3) Stock with LM1/LM2 system

I want it loud, limited rasp, limited freeway drone. Price is not a huge deal (up to $500). Leaning towards the LM1 right now. Hoping someone has one of the exact setups listed above...?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, I've listened to some LM1 and LM2 setups and I'm sold. Screw the neighbors and screw emissions! Now, with everything else stock I want to go with the LM1s over the LM2s, right? (Just a little worried about the freeway drone - your thoughts?).

Just curious, is the install easy enough that can I bolt up the LM myself in my garage?
Go with the LM2 it sounds a lot cleaner and if you want it louder all you have to do is buy the LM1 resonator which is inexpensive. I have a m6 car with stock gears and exhaust drone is very minimal I was able to hear my stereo no problem. I wouldn't worry about your neighbors when I had just the LM2 I was able to pull my car in the garage leave it running and I couldn't hear it in my room. Install was very easy and comes with instructions I did it in my garage. I'm running TSP 1 7/8 long tubes and their off road y pipe with no cats and the LM2 car is surprisingly quiet if I keep the revs under 2k hope that helps!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Oh man you guys are confusing me now... I have to remain emissions legal, so the cat has to stay (hence no LTs ever ). So in light of that, I'm either going with:
1) Stock with better cat (Magnaflow?) andQTP cutout (leaving my flowmaster muffler)
2) Stock with QTP cutout
3) Stock with LM1/LM2 system

I want it loud, limited rasp, limited freeway drone. Price is not a huge deal (up to $500). Leaning towards the LM1 right now. Hoping someone has one of the exact setups listed above...?
The most cost effective/ headache free thing you could do is the LM2 with stock cats. While a cut out seems like a good idea it can turn into a headache in the long run the electric motor will stop working at some point or another and you would have to get someone to weld it in and run the wiring into your cab.....LM2 all day!! You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a video of mine. Its a good example of how loud the lm1 will be if at some point you decide to mod it. The lm1 is an expansion pipe, theres nothing in it to quiet any sound. Its like driving around with open headers so if you are going to dd it may be a bad idea.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Cutout sounds aweful. Get you a TSP rumber or SLP LM1 and cal it a day.
I agree.... for a stock car you can't beat the sound of the LM1

Quick Reply: Car is too stinking quiet!