Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pressure at speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure at speed

I am trying to figure out a surging problem in 2-3rd gear at WOT.

I am thinking trans but a thought occured to me as I posted that thread... fuel. The original fuel pump I used for the LS1 into a 80' vette conversion was not strong enough (acdelco ep241) and the car would just lose power after 5000rpm. I checked the fuel rail pressure and it was low. I also noticed fuel injectors were bad. I replaced the injectors and got a larger fuel pump (I can't remember the exact one) which fixed the problem.

I started thinking.. maybe I am losing fuel after 5500 causing the surging problem? How can I monitor the pressure at speed? or is there a way to check this with the car on the ground? I have a gauge for the fuel rail and the pressure is good at no load.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Have you considered getting a fuel pressure gage for your A-pillar or dash?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105...d=#moreDetails

You'll need an adapter similar to this for the fuel rail to plug the pressure sensor in to:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/670340/10002/-1
Old 04-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

I don't want to add another gauge to the interior... it was hard enough and a very long process adding the new ones I have now. Just want to test the pressure at speed to rule out the fuel as a problem.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a FP gauge from autozone. The hose is short, but long enough to run between the cowl and hood. The gauge will just reach over the wipers and is clearly visible.

Quick Reply: fuel pressure at speed