Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Alternator question

Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacement Alternator question

I put in a powermaster performance 48206 (150/90a) alternator.

When getting it summit recommended getting a Painless Performance Alternator Wiring Kits 30709, which basically puts a fuse between the starter and alternator?
It was stated when I got it that the gage wiring was heavier, yet when swapping it out yesterday the gage wiring was considerably thicker from the alternator to the battery then the battery to the starter. (so I don't see why I need to rewire with a thinner gage? or why I should)

They are showing routing a wire to the fuse box, then adding in another fuse between the starter and alternator. but no direct line to the battery?

Checking out the cabling on the can wiring diagram from GM, the black cable directly from the battery + goes to the alternator, then battery + to starter.

The two wiring diagrams are totally different with the painless never directly going to the battery from the alternator? And I really don't think I want it charging the battery via (through the starter) at least that is what the painless diagram appears to show.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...nstruction.pdf

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...category=19397

Can someone help me figure out wth they are talking about. Honestly it started just fine and idling at 12.6 amps. I can somewhat understand putting the fuse between the alt and battery, but that isn't what they are showing.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

12.6 amps at idle ? really? a truck alt with the big 3 would have done way better than that.....cheaper too !!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

i have a MSD mini starter and i used a heavier gauge wire IN addition to the stock wire....and my big 3 has a direct wire from the batt to the alt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement Alternator question