Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my exhaust setup restrictive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my exhaust setup restrictive?

My current exhaust setup built my the previous owner of my 2001 Trans Am are BBK LTs, and catless ORY (looks like 2.5"), and Flowmaster catback. I replaced the flowmaster muffler with a Magnaflow 12266 (due to recommendation of the exhaust shop. I might be a sucker) with 2.5" ins and 2.25" outs.

Is this setup restrictive? Only other bolt-ons are a whisper lid and a mail-order tune. If so, how much torque/hp am I potentially losing?

Seems like people usually go with 3" ORY & 3" in/out catbacks.

Last edited by aaron_douglas; 04-14-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Forgot some info
Old 04-14-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not too restrictive but you will be better off going with a 3" setup. Specially if you keep modding.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. Anyone else have thoughts? 2.25 outs seemed so small.

Also does exhaust/Y-pipe diameter have a direct correlation with exhaust volume? The car is very quiet at idle despite being catless, though it sounds good with throttle.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

I have pretty much the same exhaust setup as you, BBK LTs/ORY and a Magnaflow catback (not the replacement muffler). Magnaflows are one of the quieter exhaust options, so the lack of volume at idle is very normal, but at WOT it sounds great. I don't think you're leaving very much on the table with a bolt-on/mild car, but when you start looking for huge power out of it (500+ HP), then you're going to want to upgrade to some 1 7/8" LTs and true duals if you want an optimized setup.

Quick Reply: Is my exhaust setup restrictive?