Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I quiet my exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How can I quiet my exhaust?

Hey everyone, new to the forums just got a 1999 Camaro SS. My exhaust set up right now is long tube headers, to a high flow Y pipe, then back to a single pipe then splitting again at the exhaust tips. My concern is that the car is TOO loud. I want to tone it down a little bit. Right now it has no CATs, the seller included two Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats if I put these on will it help bring my noise down to a reasonable level?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it should quiet it down but im not sure if it will by much... Im having the same issue but with true duals dumped before the axel. Im planning on running a stock exhuast and just having cutouts (either one on a big Ypipe or 1 after each Longtube)
Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

They'll probably help a little but your going to need a muffler. I would look at either a magnaflow or hooker catback or adding a magnaflow bullet muffler in the I pipe. It and the cats should make a huge difference. I had a dynomax bullet dumped at the end of a 4" I. I went over the axle with it and added a magnaflow and it was night and day difference.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mctwist77
Hey everyone, new to the forums just got a 1999 Camaro SS. My exhaust set up right now is long tube headers, to a high flow Y pipe, then back to a single pipe then splitting again at the exhaust tips. My concern is that the car is TOO loud. I want to tone it down a little bit. Right now it has no CATs, the seller included two Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats if I put these on will it help bring my noise down to a reasonable level?
the way you describe it, it sounds like you don't have any mufflers, just a straight pipe system.....the cats will help a little, but i would also weld a bullet style glasspack muffler into the i-pipe (just behind the y, before the rear split)......what size pipe is it?......3" or 2.5"? summit sells cheap glasspacks that sound good in both sizes, i ran one dumped behind my catted y for about a year and loved it.....very mellow until you go full throttle, then it screamed.....the magnaflow mentioned above would sound good too, and it'd be stainless
Old 04-14-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bestlude
it should quiet it down but im not sure if it will by much... Im having the same issue but with true duals dumped before the axel. Im planning on running a stock exhuast and just having cutouts (either one on a big Ypipe or 1 after each Longtube)
don't get rid of your duals man......i've been there and done that......i got tired of the loud drone everywhere i went, it was cool at first but it just got old.....so i sold my duals and went to the catted y setup i described above, but always missed that dual sound......if you want your duals quieter, go to autozone and pick up two thrush part # 24214 ......they're only 28 bucks each but they will make your duals very quiet.

i have LPP stainless duals now with very similar mufflers to the ones i just suggested and it is really nice (until 4k rpm, then it comes alive)

Last edited by jc98ss; 04-14-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Im going to look at mufflers

Quick Reply: How can I quiet my exhaust?