Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeeling Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeling Noise

Ok so about a week ago i had a squeeling noise show up on my new iron 408 and its driving me CRAZY. So today i pulled off both the A/C drive belt and the accessory drive belt and i started the car and the squeeling was gone. So i put back on the ac belt and started the car and it started squeeling again. So i then removed the ac belt and put back on the accessory drive belt and startes the car and it started squeeling . So my question is is it the new belts are slipping or is it the tensioners? The old bar of soap trick works for about 2 minutes then its squeeling again. So is it the new belts or the old tensioner?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Sounds like a belt to me..
Heres a few tricks ive done in the past.
Get a small wire brush and while the car is running place the bristles on the grooved side of the belt and that should clean up all the dirt on the grooves just be careful not to get the brush too close to the pulleys as it might get caught. also,
I learned this from a Gm tech awhile back.. get some brake pad grease or even bulb grease and place it on different sections of the belt and start her up that should stop the sqeals.
Another is use some grey gm thread sealant on different sections of the belt.

but it never hurts to just replace the belts for just a few bucks even the pulleys are like $20 at the parts store..
Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the advice. I tried belt treatment spray and it didnt do **** and soap worked for a couple seconds. Now these are new belts so i guess ill just replace em and see if it takes car of it.

Quick Reply: Squeeling Noise