Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tube Headers and offroad Y o2 sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Tube Headers and offroad Y o2 sensor problem

I've got a 2002 Z28 and recently took her to a professional exhaust shop to put a full Hooker exhaust setup (Hooker long tubes, hooker mid pipe, magnaflow catback). I now have no cats and have O2 simulators for the rear sensors. Upon getting my car back she sounded beautiful and ran perfect. Well after about 20 minutes of driving the check engine light came on. I stopped at the local O'Reillys and got them to run a scan. It showed up that the front passenger O2 sensor wasn't functioning. Well I took it back to the shop yesterday and got it back out today... they told me the O2 sensor wasn't moving (I suppose they were talking about the voltage not changing) and that it was a common problem with the sensors so they put a used O2 in and it was working fine and gave me my car back free of charge (no check engine light). After about 20 minutes of driving the check engine light pops on again, same thing. I've read on the forums that a few other people have came across this problem after doing a long tube setup with the offroad y pipe. Can anyone tell me any solutions for this? I love my Camaro but when the code comes up my gas mileage sinks horribly. (note: the rear o2 simulators are working fine, no codes about them)
Old 04-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Teching In

What engine codes are you experiencing? If it is bank 1 sensor 1 or bank 2 sensor 1 then you have a problem with your front O2's, never replace with used parts. Hook up a scan tool and let it run, look at data stream to see which O2 voltage is not changing. I've had long tubes and no cats for years with simulators and have never thrown a light.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

join the club lol. my stockers went bad directly after i had my long tubes installed which is common as i read. then i replaced them with denso TWICE and they are still throwing a heater code..maybe its because they sit way down and dont heat up well...i'll just live with it
Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

You can have it tuned where the 02's don't kick the CEL as fast.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i used bosch O2s and they crapped out almost immediately......i just switched to denso and its night and day.....power is up and gas mileage too !!!!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

my 02 craped out aftermy header swap also. I put brand new ones in then went and had the ccar tuned due to my cam swap at the same time and its been all good ever since. Go get new ones and try again
Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i used bosch O2s and they crapped out almost immediately......i just switched to denso and its night and day.....power is up and gas mileage too !!!!!!
Mpg def went up for me though when I went to densos. My car hated the bosch sensors and they **** the bed after a few months

OP get some new densos and go with it I bet they fix the issue.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM

I'll try to get some new ones and see if that fixes anything. Could it be my O2 extenders though? Because it's the same one every time. I dropped like 600 dollars in labor at the exhaust shop so it'll be a bit before I can scrap up the cash to do anything so I've just been driving it for now, will that hurt anything doing such? She seems to run alright, a little worse on fuel but no misses from what I can tell.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're going to have to live with the heater codes
unless you can defeat the heat-loss problem. The
code is indicating that the sensors can't be counted
on at low gas flows. The outcome will be some
mixture error, probably varying a lot with weather
and recent driving history, at the low end.

The trimming error will push you rich and depending
on how you roll into WOT, will push a varying amount
of undesired enrichment.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

I've got the same problem. I've drove my car for about the third day after getting it back from the tuner and check engine light is on saying readings for the 02 sensors in bank 1 and 2 are too far off to read or the 02 sensors are bad. I'm guessing they both wouldn't go bad at the same time. I'm running a catted y.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

I have been in contact with my tuner about this, in my case since both sensors are throwing codes p1133 and p1153. I think your tuner should be able widen the parameters that you sensors work in and get it to not throw a light and work correctly.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

i got the same code and i was thinking convert into electronic heated O2 instead
Old 05-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's crazy, I thought it was just me. I also just put LT's, ORY, tune and they even put two new Denso o2 sensors last week. Couple days ago my SES light came on and got it checked, stating bank 1 is lean and o2 sensor low voltage or something (P0171 P0131). Going back to Speed, Inc. today to have it checked. So this is a normal problem after header installs?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn i replaced on of mine a month or so ago because I had the actually sensor rattling. So pretty much get a tune then switch the sensors? Denso's seem to sound the best.

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers and offroad Y o2 sensor problem