Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pressure hose leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pressure hose leak

I need to change out my powers steering pressure hose due to it leaking and frying my alternator. I Had GM install a new alternator but they wanted like 300 bucks for the hose plus install. I figured it cannot be that hard so I ordered the hose and want to do it myself. The car is a 99 SS with mild mods. BTW I formerly posted as Diabolic SS but changed my username.
Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a turkey baster and suck out as much of the power steering fluid in the reservoir as you can.

Just remove the line with the right tube wrench or regular wrench, I believe it's 18MM or 19MM.

Connect the new line.

Fill the power steering reservoir to about 3/4 full. Then, with the front of the car supported on jackstands, start the car and have someone turn the wheel lock to lock, add fluid as it it sucked down, stop adding fluid when the level holds steady. Keep turning the wheel lock to lock until you see no more air bubbles in the reservoir.

Done.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot. I thought it should be pretty easy. I can't believe a dealer wanted almost 300 bucks for that. Highway robbery.