Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout with Off-Road Y

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutout with Off-Road Y

I'm thinking about changing my exhaust setup to be a bit more friendly to the neighbors. I'll probably go with either a Hooker or Magnaflow catback, ORY and a cutout, but I'm curious to know how the car would sound with the cutout open and the ORY.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 04-24-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Loud!
Old 04-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Loud Loud Loud
Old 04-25-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys.

Anyone else? I realize it will be loud, but what kind of tone is it? Does it sound trashy or muscular?

Josh
Old 04-25-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be loud, but it will sound very good. My ORY and cutout in the I-pipe wasn't that loud, at least I didnt think it was loud. But then again, I thought open headers was pretty quiet.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

not to highjack your thread, but i was wondering if a cutout is worth the money...

i am looking at getting some headers with the dual cutout y-pipe... the y-pipe is $600 and i was wondering if cutouts are worth the money?

thanks
Old 04-25-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS GIRL
not to highjack your thread, but i was wondering if a cutout is worth the money...

i am looking at getting some headers with the dual cutout y-pipe... the y-pipe is $600 and i was wondering if cutouts are worth the money?

thanks
I would imagine you could get a custom Y made then buy a couple of electric cutouts for a bit cheaper than $600. I know it's possible around here, but perhaps it isn't there. That would be as loud as you could possibly make your car.

Josh
Old 04-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Its Probably The Best Bang For The Buck Bolt On You Can Do. WITH A SINGLE CUTOUT IN THE I PIPE I Gained 20 Hp On My Combo On Back To Back Dyno Runs!!!! And They Only Cost $35! Also Your Car Will Sound Very Good. I Get Compliments All The Time When Mine Is Open. It Sounds Awesome When Its Idling And Like A Nascar Stock Car At Wot!!!
Old 04-25-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like has been said before, it will be very loud. To me, at idle it sounds good, but under acceleration I don't like it.

Jeff
Old 04-25-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

A open cutout in the I pipe with an ORY @ Longtubes will be very loud! Watch it around any Police. Under acceleration it can be heard from blocks away plain as day. Mine sounded very good unitl 2200-3000 when it hit the rasp zone where it sounded awful but as soon as you got past that it was awesome! Now with my Catted Y pipe my open QTEC sounds damn good! No rasp anymore but just a nice deep loud sound.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
A open cutout in the I pipe with an ORY @ Longtubes will be very loud! Watch it around any Police. Under acceleration it can be heard from blocks away plain as day. Mine sounded very good unitl 2200-3000 when it hit the rasp zone where it sounded awful but as soon as you got past that it was awesome! Now with my Catted Y pipe my open QTEC sounds damn good! No rasp anymore but just a nice deep loud sound.
so you recommend with cutouts, that you should have cats?
Old 04-25-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just to get an idea...I was about 2 miles away from my house one night with my cut-out open, when I punched it...I was home in about 5 min...My mom asked, "If that was me." I said of course not ...Mods are in sig...

Kevin
Old 04-25-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

so you recommend with cutouts, that you should have cats?
If you are running cats with a cut-out, the tone of the exhaust will be a little cleaner, and will be a little quieter...I don't know if I would recommend that set-up...It's just more of what you prefer...Check out this site- http://www.ls1sounds.com ...There are all kinds of exhaust clips and vids...Hopefully this helps ya out...

Kevin
Old 04-25-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

SS Girl, Well it depends on what kind of sound you want. If you want very loud raw nacar sound then go for an ORY with a Cutout. Having Cats then a cutout will not be as loud and there won't be any rasp but it will still roar. The cats produce a more refined sound whereas the ORY is usually a raw sound.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
SS Girl, Well it depends on what kind of sound you want. If you want very loud raw nacar sound then go for an ORY with a Cutout. Having Cats then a cutout will not be as loud and there won't be any rasp but it will still roar. The cats produce a more refined sound whereas the ORY is usually a raw sound.
i have read where some people consider rasp a bad thing... what do you think?
Old 04-26-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

The sound of rasp is all your own personal opinion. Some like it and some don't. As for me well I hate it as it really sounds out of place. I used to run ORY setups that had rasp so I tolerated it while I could but now after going to highflow cats and having no rasp whatsoever I will never go back to a ORY setup. It's all personal preference.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks

I had my Pacesetter ORY fitted with dual cutouts and McCord MPP2's for $475 total...

http://groups.msn.com/MikesFirebird/...ndexhaust.msnw

All I can say is that my car sounds like a beast when it's idling.. I don't even want to talk about when I'm driving it with them open..