Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible header leak---black soot on top of tube!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible header leak---black soot on top of tube!!

I recently got headers (hookers) about three weeks ago and noticed this black exhaust soot on top of one of the primary tubes on the driverside...It is very little about 1/4 in diameter and I have wiped it off so I know it is exhaust soot because it comes off and I can see a little bit more in between where the tube meets the header flange... ...I have wiped it of about twice but it keeps coming back..more than likely a leak!! ...the thing is how would I fix it???...I would want to fix it without having to remove the headers which is a PIA!!! ...Would some JB weld help it or some sort of material to help it seal it.........How bad is this???...I think it causes me to run rich because my exhaust really smells!!...BTW:..It is a small leak but it could be the culprit of it causing me to run too rich.........How could I fix this??? ..any suggestions would help...Thanx!
Old 04-26-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody???..TTT...I need a fix !
Old 04-26-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Your exhaust smells because you do not have cats anymore with the ORY. Is the header leak between the tube and flange, or the flange and the head? You could use JB weld, but that would be kind of ghetto. Depending on where the leak is, you might be able to get it welded, with the header still on the car.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Can you feel air coming out of the leak? Do you hear a ticking noise? If you can pinpoint the location can you tell if someone could get a welder in there? I would not suggest using JBWeld because it won't look as nice.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

my pacesetters do the same thing

Quick Reply: Possible header leak---black soot on top of tube!!