Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT header installed ... need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT header installed ... need help

My friend and I installed my LT headers this weekend (it was a day of hell).
Anyway, it's on the car and made the extensions for the front 02 sensors. Now in the back only one of them is connected as the other doesn't reach

Now for the resullt. The car runs like crap. I used to have a deep rumble with my true duals. Now that I put the LTs on, my car sounds like a v6
My check engine is flashing, yeah not just on, but actually flashing. I've never seen that before. In addition, I hear pops continually from the exhaust. SOunds like gunshots

Is this because of the back 02 sensors ? I need to buy some anyway because I don't like the way my extended ones turned out.

Where is the best place (cheapest) to get the 02 sensors from a corvette. I heard they work on our cars.

thanks for the help.

CliffNotes:
1) Need help diagnosing problem
2) Where's a good place to get the corvette 02 sensors for my 2002 WS6
Old 04-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Launching!

I would order 02 extensions and O2 simms from a vendor and plug them in. I think that might help the problem. If there is still a problem after that, Atap should help find the culprit.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree with ryan dont make your own it rarely works out well though now youve probably got some jacked up wiring mess...make sure all your plug wires are on tight, and find out what the ses light is.

lata
Bill
Old 04-26-2004, 03:36 PM
STF Veteran

Texas Speed and Performance sell the extensions. You might want to check all of your plugs again and make sure all of the wires are ok.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

The rear O2 sensors should not make the car run bad. If anything you would get an SES light, but the rear O2's should not affect the performance of the motor. It could be the home made extensions for the front O2 sensors that is causing the problem. If those sensors are not working properly, it will cause the motor to run bad. Just like everyone else has said, buy the premade O2 extensions for the front, and O2 sims in the back.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad2000ss
The rear O2 sensors should not make the car run bad. If anything you would get an SES light, but the rear O2's should not affect the performance of the motor. It could be the home made extensions for the front O2 sensors that is causing the problem. If those sensors are not working properly, it will cause the motor to run bad. Just like everyone else has said, buy the premade O2 extensions for the front, and O2 sims in the back.
That is exactly it. THe rear O2's only tell it that the cats are working it's the front two that it uses to do things like adjusting the air fuel ratio. Use proper extensions!
Old 04-26-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the advice,
I have a lot of troubleshooting to do
Old 04-26-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Texas Speed and Performance sell the extensions. You might want to check all of your plugs again and make sure all of the wires are ok.
would the texas speed extensions works even though I've already cut my original 02 sensors ?

I heard the corvette 02 sensors are longer and would work on our cars. Does anyone have a take on this ?

thanks again for the help
Old 04-26-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

flashing ses light is a sign of engine missfire. check all your plug wires. This would also explain the backfire that you are hearing out the exhaust and why it runs so bad.
Alan
Old 04-26-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fierce-LS1
would the texas speed extensions works even though I've already cut my original 02 sensors ?

I heard the corvette 02 sensors are longer and would work on our cars. Does anyone have a take on this ?

thanks again for the help
TTT
Old 04-26-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

ok, i checked my spark plugs and sure enough, one of them was lose.
Now, the car sounds more balsy and when I taped the gas, easily chirped the tires going 45 mph. Long tubes are great !

I still have to take care of my 02 sensors though. No one has responded yet, but does anyone know if the corvette 02 sensors will work for our cars ? I heard they are longer.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah they work, they are longer.
You definitely wanna replace them, if you extended the wires on the O2.

I did the same thing, and didnt find out that it didnt work till AFTER I did it. So I'll just use my rear O2's with some O2 extensions.
Sucks though, I bought my Pacesetters Dec. 1st. One day late for the offer TSP had where they came with free or discounted extensions.