Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default O2 sensor wiring?

I went to the track on sunday and found that my right side front O2 sensor wiring was shredded and hanging on the ground. The harness from the car is FUBAR. Looks like I need a new connector and need to rewire it. I am heading to the chevy dealer to see what I can order for it in the am. Any experience or suggestions with wiring the connector?

Ed
Old 04-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, don't tell them you were at the track.

To insert a new connector, I'm pretty sure you will also need a special crimping tool (expensive too). It might be easier to have the dealer do it. Which O2 is it, front or rear?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

My opinion...if you are going to have to purchase one, consider this. If you plan on getting headers, just take a sensor from your rear and move it to the front. The rear's dont much matter, they just tell your computer whether your cats are doing their job correctly or not.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

those connectors do infact need the professional crimping tool. MSD makes them (or relabels them), and they go for either $75 or $100, cant remember
I believe SPDC sells em.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the responses! I forgot to mention that I have jet hot LT headers with the rear O2's turned off in Edit I didn't know that the rear sensors would work in the front, that might be the easiest solution, and then use the harness from the rear sensor. It still has to be wired to sensor one to work correctly right? The wires must've been hanging down after I did my header install. The car is still under warranty, but I am sure Chevy won't cover this one!

Ed
Old 04-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it has to be wired into the front O2.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:01 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, definitely make good use of your rear o2 sensors then Thats what I had to do. I had a front o2 sensor that refused to come off the manifold when I did my header change, so I just used a rear one. Works perfectly fine. The only reason rear o2's have a different part number is because they have a different length wire attached to them: they are the same sensor though.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys, what I did was order a new extension harness and cut the connectors off that. I'll see what happens. I know the sensors can be picky about the type of wire, etc. Hopefuly T-bryne will get it out soon! DOn't know why I didn't think of it sooner!

I have spent most of my time over on the other big camaro board, this one looks more informative though. I am a newbie here, but not the the f-body world

My whole mods are 4200 yank, ls1 edit, jet hot LT, ORY, !AIR, ASP underdrive, dyno mouth, lid, QA1's, all the BMR goodies, and free mods. The car is at 12.06 @ 111 MPH, almost 11's!

Ed
Old 04-29-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Good deal...although Ive never heard about sensors being picky about wire. Tell me more on this. Im curious because I made my own extensions with cheap wire and I havent experienced any problems, but maybe I was lucky.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
Good deal...although Ive never heard about sensors being picky about wire. Tell me more on this. Im curious because I made my own extensions with cheap wire and I havent experienced any problems, but maybe I was lucky.
I rewired the extension with some comparable wire and got an SES light for something with the sensor, I forget the exact number. Picked up a new one from T-bryne and it is fine. Weird!

Ed