Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size Cut-out

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What size Cut-out

I want to put a cutout after the y-pipe. does anyone know the size of the pipe that connects from the y-pipe to the muffler. I have a stock exhaust on a 01 camaro ss, and what size cutout do i need.

Mastronardi
Old 04-27-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

3 inch i believe
Old 04-27-2004, 02:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I sure hope it is a 3" because that is what I just ordered last night for my 2002 SS
Old 04-27-2004, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm pretty sure is 3"
Old 04-27-2004, 04:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mastronardi
I want to put a cutout after the y-pipe. does anyone know the size of the pipe that connects from the y-pipe to the muffler. I have a stock exhaust on a 01 camaro ss, and what size cutout do i need.

Mastronardi
The 3" cutout works well, however the I-pipe in the LS1 cars is less than 3" pipe. I recently found out that the stock pipe is more like 2.75 O.D. & whatever that is I.D. At any rate, that was why SLP sold many 3" I-pipes to folks that wanted the 3" all the way back. (other aftermarket catbacks may well have true 3" I-pipes as well)

I tried the QTP electric cutout on my 99 Z28, but the motor fell off onto the road after only 8 months & 3000 miles. I then went with a Keith McCord power plate, and have had great results with his MPP2 electric cutout. It didn't vibrate itself to pieces like the QTEC did. I know QTP is a board sponsor, and some peeps may have had better luck with their cutouts than I did, but the McCord worked better for me as far as durability, plus they're considerabley CHEAPER. . .
Old 04-27-2004, 04:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just wanted to point this out. On the QTP website, check the QTEC's in action video and watch the WRX one. When its open, the top bolt moves a little from the vibrations. I would put some treadlock on or maybe a lockwasher cause that thing is going to fall off. (like goldfinger for instance)
Old 04-27-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock pipe is a little smaller.. but a 3" cutout is what you want.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

i run a 3" with a QTEC..

and i have never had any probems with my QTEC cutout. i have lots of friends that run them and have not have any problems what so ever. One of my buddies threw out his McCord in the garbage(he got tired of it breaking)and got a QTEC
Old 04-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Durien
i run a 3" with a QTEC..

and i have never had any probems with my QTEC cutout. i have lots of friends that run them and have not have any problems what so ever. One of my buddies threw out his McCord in the garbage(he got tired of it breaking)and got a QTEC
I guess everyone has different luck with mechanical things. Funny thing that you have never heard of anyone having any problems with the QTEC cutout, because when I called Barry and told him about his motor falling off onto the road on mine after only 8 months, his reply to me was "Well, that's about all we get out of them, they just vibrate apart after about a year." He never offered to sell me a replacement for a reduced amount, or take care of the problem, other than making the comment, "you could try J.B. Weld on it, but it probably wouldn't hold." Other than that, he just made it clear that they basically all fall apart in around a year.

That was when I went to Keith McCord and he went out of his way to help
me get things working, even had me send what was left of the wiring off of the QTEC after being dragged down the highway for 3 miles, and used that wiring on one of his MPP2 Power Plates, so that I could continue to use the existing switch and the other undamaged wiring from QTP. All this, and he sold me his Power Plate all wired up for my existing setup, for a reduced price.

These are FACTS and not intended to flame a board sponsor, just telling the truth about what my experience was. Barry from QTP may or may not admit to, or even remember saying those things, but I have no reason to lie about what happened. If the admins delete this post, then so be it. . . after all it is hearsay. However, your story about your buddies throwing out the McCord cutout is also hearsay.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyGoldfinger
I guess everyone has different luck with mechanical things. Funny thing that you have never heard of anyone having any problems with the QTEC cutout, because when I called Barry and told him about his motor falling off onto the road on mine after only 8 months, his reply to me was "Well, that's about all we get out of them, they just vibrate apart after about a year." He never offered to sell me a replacement for a reduced amount, or take care of the problem, other than making the comment, "you could try J.B. Weld on it, but it probably wouldn't hold." Other than that, he just made it clear that they basically all fall apart in around a year.

That was when I went to Keith McCord and he went out of his way to help
me get things working, even had me send what was left of the wiring off of the QTEC after being dragged down the highway for 3 miles, and used that wiring on one of his MPP2 Power Plates, so that I could continue to use the existing switch and the other undamaged wiring from QTP. All this, and he sold me his Power Plate all wired up for my existing setup, for a reduced price.

These are FACTS and not intended to flame a board sponsor, just telling the truth about what my experience was. Barry from QTP may or may not admit to, or even remember saying those things, but I have no reason to lie about what happened. If the admins delete this post, then so be it. . . after all it is hearsay. However, your story about your buddies throwing out the McCord cutout is also hearsay.
I really dont know if you are telling the truth or not .... since you are talking so much crap

QTP is a big company that sells a lot of these QTEC Valves.... do you think they would be in bussiness if they werent good? Just look around..just about everyone has a QTEC... i dont understand why the hell you are bashing them.. My experience with them has been great and many of will agree. Most of the Fbody, Mustang and Import guys around my have the QTEC.. and they have no issues.
As far as my friends McCord i saw it break on him and yes It was replaced by them but it kept breaking.. no wonder McCord keeps coming out with new versions

the QTEC unit is by far a better product
Old 04-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Durien
I really dont know if you are telling the truth or not .... since you are talking so much crap

QTP is a big company that sells a lot of these QTEC Valves.... do you think they would be in bussiness if they werent good? Just look around..just about everyone has a QTEC... i dont understand why the hell you are bashing them.. My experience with them has been great and many of will agree. Most of the Fbody, Mustang and Import guys around my have the QTEC.. and they have no issues.
As far as my friends McCord i saw it break on him and yes It was replaced by them but it kept breaking.. no wonder McCord keeps coming out with new versions

the QTEC unit is by far a better product
Well well, you just made my case for me.
You admit that McCord replaces their product if found to be defective, (nobody is perfect, except QTP according to you) and you also admit that McCord keeps coming out with new (read improved) products. I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person, so I'll let this drop right here, and this will be my last post on the subject. You go ahead continue to jump on every thread with anything to do with exhaust cutouts with your pom poms and sing the praises of your pal across the river from you. By now you must be getting your stuff free over there. What are you his brother-in-law?

People can judge for themselves, all I wanted to do was save them some hassles by relating my own personal experience.
I'm done, and off >

Last edited by ChevyGoldfinger; 04-27-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Default #' Will do the trick

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Stock pipe is a little smaller.. but a 3" cutout is what you want.
The guys are right --3" is the way to go --the pipes are 2.75" -- many Street Pro 3" Diverters have been put on current F-Body rides --Avg. HP increase is 16HP over stock pipes --The Street Pro has a 1 year full warranty --Check out the web site - lots of good installation photos