Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Valve Covers

I want to buy a set of used valve covers for a 2000SS and shave all the coil mounts off and have them chromed. The problem is that the right side cover on engine has 2 90 degree pipes for the vents coming from it and I have only been able to locate covers with one on them. Has anyone modified these to work/ and is it possible to use these by putting a tee in line and running both my hoses into the one outlet. I have ran a search on this and have not seen any answers.
Thanks for any replys
Alan
Old 04-27-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem, Im converting over to the LS6 PCV system which cleans up the engine bay and only requires 1 PCV connection to the TB. Your other option is to find some used VC's on this or the other forums.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

I looked into chroming a set too. I went to numerous places here in MPLS/St. Paul. To prep them and chrome them would cost about $300 No thanks
Old 04-28-2004, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

I bought a set of VC's with both tubes off this forum - had them chromed by my guy here in PA for $80/each - he does mail order chrome also. He does only high quality 'Show Chrome'. I've had probably 2K in chrome done for my TA, now I'm starting with my 68 Vette. Your price may be slightly higher (like $120/ea) - he cuts me a better deal since I get so much done and refer customers to him. If you want his contact info - email me at jay442@msn.com

BTW, he also chromes plastic very nicely.

If your planning on grinding off the coil mounts - be careful. I sent LawmanSS down with his set to be chromed - he had ground off his mounts. Don couldn't do them due to the pitting under the areas where the mounts were (either due to the grinding process or internal porosity in the casting in the mount areas). He's gonna have to take them to be welded up and refinished prior to chroming.

-Jay-
Old 04-28-2004, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Are you finding Valve covers with the font or rear tubes?
-If the front is missing you can alwasy run a preather in the Oil Filer as opposed to using the vent tube that connects to the throttle body.
-If the rear is missing then that just means its time for the LS6 PCV mod.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

I am in the processes of doing the LS6 PCV mod. I pulled the valve covers off, removed both tubes, filled them with JBWeld and painted them Navy Blue, along with my throttlebody, and MAF ends. While I was at it I also removed the PCV vent tube into the throttle body and the coolant lines for the throttlebody. Just have to get it all back together now.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
If your planning on grinding off the coil mounts - be careful. I sent LawmanSS down with his set to be chromed - he had ground off his mounts. Don couldn't do them due to the pitting under the areas where the mounts were (either due to the grinding process or internal porosity in the casting in the mount areas). He's gonna have to take them to be welded up and refinished prior to chroming.

-Jay-
The problem I had was with some of the TIG welds that filled the holes where the bosses were. If you do this, make sure your welds are solid with no air pockets or pits. Don (M&P plating) said that he can compensate for very small defects by extending the dipping time in the copper bath, but more pronounced defects (i.e. pits) must be rememdied prior to chroming. One option that was suggested to me was shortening the coil bosses a bit and filling them with nice chromed button-headed allen bolts...just a thought.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Lawman did you get yours fixed & back down there yet?

I picked up the last batch for the TA - got to start dropping off more vette parts

You need to see how the Power Steering plastic resevoir turned out! Along with the Turn One Pulley chromed.

-Jay-
Old 04-28-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Lawman did you get yours fixed & back down there yet?

I picked up the last batch for the TA - got to start dropping off more vette parts

You need to see how the Power Steering plastic resevoir turned out! Along with the Turn One Pulley chromed.

-Jay-
Not yet...I talked to the guy that's gonna fix the welds...he's confident that he can get them squared away. I can't wait to see the resevoir and Turn One pulley...Damn it, you need to quit giving me ideas! LOL!

Speaking of the pulley, is there a website for Turn One...I did a search a while back with no luck.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jantzer had the same problem shaving my valvecovers. He sends em out to a TIG welder, and the welder guy couldnt keep them from pitting. I was gonna have em polished and clear powdercoated, so I had to settle for a silver powdercoat
The covers were cast shitty, and pourous, which caused the pitting.

btw, keep posting in the WTB forum, you'll find a set
I got mine for $40 in there
Old 04-29-2004, 08:11 AM
12 Second Club

Does anyone sell aftermarket Valve Covers?? Especially one without coil pack provisions?
Old 04-29-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think Katech does, but those are high dollar from what I've heard.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

www.billetfab.com

This is where I'm gonna get mine. Another board memeber, i forget who, got a set for around 400, engraved. Pricey but beautiful quality.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

GenIII Performance sells those engraved billet covers
ARE also sells fabbed covers