Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone make a 1 7/8" header with v-band connections at the header?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Does anyone make a 1 7/8" header with v-band connections at the header?

I'm looking to get a set of 1 7/8" headers for a f-body, no emissions, and don't want a slip fit connection. I want either a ball and socket, or a v-band connection.

Does anyone make such a thing or am I going to have to buy the v-bands and have them welded up myself?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think you have to buy some and have them welded on yourself.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:26 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by adamantium
I would think you have to buy some and have them welded on yourself.
Yeah, that's most likely what I'm going to have to do. I want to finally do my exhaust right, including having the headers ceramic coated, then putting v-band collectors at the collectors, and another one at the axle so I can drop the ypipe/intermediate pipe as one unit and then weld all the connections in between.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if someone would offer the v-band flange as an option.

I thought I saw where the kooks headers have a ball flange on them, but who knows if that's an accurate picture.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

I have V bands on my Pacesetters that I had a shop weld on for me. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have used ball/socket style header buddies instead. The V-band clamp is kind of cantankerous, and I think they're leaking. I'd really think about it before going with them... plus they're pretty spendy.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty sure stainless works will build you some with vbands one them
Old 07-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Yeah, that's most likely what I'm going to have to do. I want to finally do my exhaust right, including having the headers ceramic coated, then putting v-band collectors at the collectors, and another one at the axle so I can drop the ypipe/intermediate pipe as one unit and then weld all the connections in between.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if someone would offer the v-band flange as an option.

I thought I saw where the kooks headers have a ball flange on them, but who knows if that's an accurate picture.
I see, ive always thought of this because i believe mine leaks a bit but v-bands were always such a pain on my buddies turbo fox body that i don't think id go that route.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend with his lowered F Body broke a few V Bands off the collector.. lowest part of the exhaust. Catch speed bumps etc.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

One more thing to consider about V-bands, if you weld them on yourself and plan on welding them up tight off the car, you've got to be real careful about the exhaust distorting as you weld it all shut. A ball/socket setup will be a little more forgiving, where the V band needs to stay precisely where you had it mocked up. That was a PITA when I ditched my Y setup and made some duals myself. I just decided to reuse the V bands since they were already on the headers.

I think the perfect setup would be TSP's 1 7/8 Stainless headers with a ball welded on the end.

I actually have a set that I plan on adding to a new set of headers one day. I bought some Summit Header buddies and a set of Hedman Universal Header X-Tensions. The Hedman pipes already came in handy when I needed that funky bend to mate up the drivers side of my true duals, but I saved the ball/socket pieces for the future.

Also, I haven't experienced any clearance issues with my V-band clamps, but only because I've always rotated the clamp so it didn't hang down. So, no problems there, but what my main problem is with them now is that I think I've over tightened the nut and now the whole thing is bent just enough to where it won't come off without cussing at it. Cantankerous. I think the ball/socket setup would provide the best gasketless seal and user friendliness.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put ball flanges on mine. Guy before me welded the y pipe solid to the headers. I was forced to do something when I had to drop the exhaust. I would definetly go with the ball flanges over the v bands. The v bands don't give you a total seal. Hope you can find a set of 1 7/8 LT's with ball flange collectors already on them.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Banned

Kooks Headers for this application do not have a v-band clamp. They are a slip fit (Race or Street). We do offer both male and female ball and socket connections that could be used on most headers. Shoot me a PM if I can get you a set.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by KOOKS Headers
Kooks Headers for this application do not have a v-band clamp. They are a slip fit (Race or Street). We do offer both male and female ball and socket connections that could be used on most headers. Shoot me a PM if I can get you a set.
Sent you a PM. Ball and socket does sound like a better option, please let me know if this is something that can be ordered.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oChristiano
My friend with his lowered F Body broke a few V Bands off the collector.. lowest part of the exhaust. Catch speed bumps etc.
The key to the v-bands is to also have a slip fit on drivers' side y - gives some adjustment.

If you need any hard to find t-bolts, PM me.
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone make a 1 7/8" header with v-band connections at the header?-dsc00620.jpg   Does anyone make a 1 7/8" header with v-band connections at the header?-dsc00621.jpg  
Old 05-31-2014, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Alche !!! finally someone who thinks like me, can't believe it took me this long to find this thread.

Why are the 4th Gens the only ones that don't have the ball/socket style header collectors ? I want them on the header collectors and at the rear end for easy access.

Where is the guy from Kooks - any updates to Alchemist request above.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:24 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Kooks will do it, but it's expensive.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would love to see someone take the leap of faith and post pics of the setup.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Magnaflow ball flange kit #10745 is what you'd probably want (I would), but it'll run you about $240 for both sides. Summit racing also offers a 304 SS ball flange kit, but I'm not to sure about it's different clamping method. The good news is that it'll only run you about $60 for both sides, so I'd at least give it a quick glance. Spintech offers a kit(ABC3030) in SS that's priced a little less than the Magnaflow, at $200 for both sides, and it offers several options.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-672130-ss
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-10745
http://www.spintechmufflers.com/exha.../prod_810.html

Quick Reply: Does anyone make a 1 7/8" header with v-band connections at the header?