Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

banged my cat the other day

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default banged my cat the other day

Note: despite the title, this is not a thread about having sex with a cat. I don't even have a cat. (If I did, I can't say I would completely rule it out, but I think I'm digressing here a little).

ANYWAY, I went over a big speedbump the other day and heard a loud metal bang - now I'm getting a visit from my old friend - the SES light (again....) - I checked it out it is code 0420, catalyst bank 1 below threshold etc. I read in another post that I probably damaged my cat. My question is - Should I get it replaced if that is the case or just leave it? If it's hurting my performance, I want to get it replaced, but if it's just polluting the earth I think I can live with that....
Old 04-30-2004, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mako22
Note: despite the title, this is not a thread about having sex with a cat. I don't even have a cat. (If I did, I can't say I would completely rule it out, but I think I'm digressing here a little).
sounds like a guilty mans confession to me
Old 04-30-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mako22
Hope it was de-clawed......
Old 04-30-2004, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The P0420 code won't affect your performance any, it's just a check to see if the cats are working.

What you may want to be concerned with is that if the honeycomb in the cat is broken, pieces of it may block the flow of exhaust - which would affect performance.

You could probably scan the "Parts for Sale" forum and find people selling their stock cats at cheap prices.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by WILWAXU; 04-30-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:49 PM
Launching!

When the exhaust shop made my Y pipe, they dented the cat for clearance. For the next week, I heard a metallic sound in the exhaust and then it went away, followed by the SES light coming on. Turns out that the dent the put in the cat (which they didn't need to do anyway) fractured the honeycomb, which then propagated through the cat and broke away the whole thing. I looked into the pipe and it was totally, completely gone. Chances are that your cat is gone.