Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maf directly to filter

Old 10-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the maf plugged it it idles ok for 10-20 seconds or so then wants to die, it coughs for a bit and starts the cycle over again. When I give it gas it wants to die and as soon as I let off of the throttle it revs up a bit. As soon as I unplug the maf it starts behaving fine. I did have a spare maf to try but it was recently thrown out... Right now, I don't have one on hand, but I may try to snag one from a relative's vehicle. It would still be a truck maf, but at least it's something.

Engine is stock save for headers and now the CAI.

Keep in mind, this hasn't been tuned at all and the engine, trans, maf, pcm, just about everything was bought separately. I didn't think that would matter that much since they should all match well enough, but this is my first LS swap so I'm not really sure.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you have any means of logging it?

I would start with looking at the MAF signals, MAP signal, and front O2 sensor signals.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Best I've got is an OBD2 to BT adapter and the torque app. I'll see what kind of info I can get and post it up here.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
My thoughts are having that much turbulence both right before and after the MAF can't be good. Neither are ideal in the first place but combining them might make it worse.

If you do this setup do not even think about removing the screen from the MAF. You might invest in a Saxon maf screen to further help get clear MAF readings. My idle seems more solid since I installed mine. For like $15 it can't hurt

http://www.saxonpc.com/100mm-cells-for-100.html
X2. A MAF requires straight flowing air and those honeycombs work great. But a MAP is optimal in the center of a straight tube/hose of some length.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Haven't gotten around to logging yet, but it just occurred to me that the two o2 sensors I am using are used. My brother grabbed them from his work from cars that had them replaced. He said they worked, but he didn't know how long they would last. Would bad 02 sensors cause this problem? My thinking is that if they communicate with the PCM about fuel trimming based off of the MAF then the PCM tables wouldn't change if the MAF wasn't plugged in. Am I along the right lines?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: maf directly to filter