Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with true duals/x-pipe/dumped, using bullet style mufflers, please come in.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 04:21 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Those with true duals/x-pipe/dumped, using bullet style mufflers, please come in.

I wanted to get some feedback on your setup. Please list: Where you had your system fabricated or if you did it yourself, what size piping, what type of mufflers (please be specific), how much it cost you, overall how you like it, and lastly, if you could do it all over again, would you change it any and if so, how? If you want to list any other things about the system that you want to share, feel free. Also, please post sound clips and pics if you can. If you have any sound clips of the car rolling, stepping on it, etc., that would be very helpful as well. Thank you so much.

By the way, reason Im making this thread is because Im probably going to have my setup built this week hopefully, but if not, definately next for sure. I dont want to go with the traditional style mufflers because I dont want to take up too much room, I want it to be light, etc. However, this is my thing, Im trying to decide on which type of mufflers to use because I have the Loudmouth now with just the I-pipe/resonater turned down, and I hate the way it sounds. It really sounds like crap. So I was assuming that if I go with a dual system dumped with 2 resonaters/bullet mufflers, it sound like my Loudmouth dumped and thats what I DONT want. It basically sounds like Im running no mufflers at all. It sounds real close to what it sounded like when I ran open y-pipe for a little while. I dont drive the car on the street much, maybe once or twice a week, but even then, I want it to have a good sound. Right now it just sounds undefined, raspy, etc. What mufflers do you recommend? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will sound way better than the loudmouth with the resonator. Y-pipe setups on are cars don't sound nearly as good as an xpipe. Z-Rated has the same setup your talking about on his car and sounds very good, I will probably be doing the same thing. Just go to Deer Park Muffler and they will get you what you want, and cheap too.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:11 PM
9 Second Club NA

Yeah I heard Drew got duals, and I was just about to PM him to see what he used for mufflers, where he got them done at, etc. Id like to hear it in person because I dont want to be swapping out mufflers shortly after I get it installed. I want to do it one time and one time only. I know you know Drew, what mufflers did he use? Is it dumped or all the way out the back? Is he running cats or off-road x-pipe? How much did it run him? Where did he have it installed at? Did he buy an x-pipe or was the entire system fabricated? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a Lane's dual system with bullet mufflers that dumps at the axle. He bought it used from another member on here and installed it himself. And he does not have any cats.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:21 PM
9 Second Club NA

Do you know what brand/type/series/etc. of bullet mufflers they are? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

My setup isnt exactly what you asked for, but I can help ya out a bit. I have Jet Hot headers, the primaries from the headers merge into a 3" collector. From there I had the muffler shop knock the exhaust down to 2.5". It then goes into an x pipe, then to flowmaster single chambers, and dumped with turndowns. The exhaust system excluding the headers and mufflers cost me $200. I love it, it sounds better than 99% of the y pipe setups I have heard, and I will never go back. If I could do it all over again I would not change anything. I am truly glad that I read up on Country Boy's threads about true dual mufflers and bought single chamber flowmasters instead of bullets. I love the sound it gives off, as well as the level. You can be quiet or loud with it, just depends on how you drive, and thats my favorite part. The mufflers have plenty of room to fit in the system, and my exhaust hangs no lower now than it did with the stock setup. I have posted a sound clip. If you want more info on this setup, search for Country Boy's true duals/flowmaster posts.

http://www.prodragracer.com/OZtrueduals.mpeg
Old 05-03-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are the Dynomax bullet mufflers that everyone has. You can get the from Summit.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

3" mandrel bent, Dr. Gas X, to two 3"x18" DynoMax bullets dumped in front of the axle. 3"- 3 bolt collector flanges off the LT's, to OR pipes w/ flanges(fore/aft), to the X(flanged on the front side), to the bullets/turndowns. Also bought a pair of CarSound cats and did the collector flanges on them. Makes it REAL easy to swap out pipes for emmissions/quiet mode(relatively speaking). Also makes it easy to drop the front half of the system for clutch/transmission work. This is the 3rd system/combo that's been on the car, and I wish I'd done it the first time. Sounds good(to me).

Idle is snotty with H/C.... WOT is LOUD. Don't let anyone tell you it's quiet....cause it ain't, BUT, don't let anyone tell ya it's "too loud" either. "Too loud" is relative. There is a good amount of volume in the car, but I think if you took the pipes over the axle and out the back, it would be a little quieter. Not as "refined" sounding as the GMMG(which the TD's replaced), but rather that old big block, low frequency rumble. No rasp.

Clearance will be an issue w/a lowered car, but the system "can" be fabbed to tuck up tight if your installer takes his time and thinks it through. Also....you'll need to modify your DSSL as the x pipe will be right below it and will not allow the x to tuck up tight.

I paid about $500.00 for the mandrel pipes, flanges, X, cats, bullets, dumps, and about $250.00 for the fab/install.

Didn't see much gain power wise over the GMMG/cut-out, but IMHO is the sound I was after from the begining. Would do it again.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full 3" system with Husker Performance X-pipe. 12" Dynomax bullet mufflers before the X-pipe, and Moroso Spiral Flows after. Cost about $150 for the mufflers and X-pipe, $200 for the install. Sounds pretty good. I am thinking about switching to Flowmaster 10 series to replace the spiral flows. I would like a deeper more powerful and refined sound. Don't get me wrong, this sound awesome as heck.

Here is a sound clip, doesn't do it justice, its a lot deeper than the movie makes it out to be.

http://ls1sounds.com/true_duals/TDs-...224-114cam.WMV
Old 05-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
I dont drive the car on the street much, maybe once or twice a week, but even then, I want it to have a good sound. Right now it just sounds undefined, raspy, etc.
Is that even possible with dual dumps, lol. (The refined part, not the raspy part because duals are the best sounding configuration without a doubt.)
Old 05-04-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

I was about to reply then realized you posted this under texas also one word deer park muffler actualy three lol call them
Old 05-04-2004, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

sent you a PM

Last edited by CamaroCain; 05-04-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

bullets... so loud... so very loud.

I run ATR Pit Bull mufflers, 3" stainless.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:14 PM
9 Second Club NA

I dont mind it being loud because its mostly at the track anyway, I just want it to sound like it has an exhaust system when I do drive it on the street from time to time. The way I have my exhaust now just sounds like Im running no exhaust at all. (FLP headers, off-road pipes, y-pipe, and Loudmouth resonater turned down.) It basically sounds like it did when I ran open y-pipe for a short period of time. Anyhow, the loudness Im not too worried about, its having a good sound. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go here for pics :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/125581-pics-true-duals.html

go here for video/soundclip :

http://home.comcast.net/~pimptrucks/truedualsdvs.wmv

My impressions :

I got a 2.5" True Dual with x-pipe and bullet mufflers that dumps before the axle. Let me first say that this is THE CURE ALL FOR RASP. I have no more rasp, none, zip, ziltch. Not between 2000-2500 rpms, not at full throttle, not at partial throttle, not in high gear, NO RASP. Second this is by far the best sounding exhaust I have heard on these cars. Very, very deep rumble. It sounds like the old school big blocks. And mated with the Hooker longtubes it absolutely roars at WOT. Definitely louder than my previous setup, at WOT. Surprisingly it is pretty docile and quite at idle, just a nice soothing low hum / easy rumble.

I highly recommend this setup to anyone that is thinking about it.

I have to tell you though that the sound simply cannot be imitated by a sound clip. I have heard many sound clips of the true duals and none of them did it justice. You need to hear this thing in person to get the full affect.
**A word of caution** Once you hear this setup in person you will be hooked and will soon find yourself saving up for the true duals.

Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY

As said above, it is a 2.5" system, dumped before the axle, 12" bullet mufflers, done at a local shop here in phoenix for $450 out the door including parts and labor

By the way if you use the you will find a ton of information on this.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:09 PM
9 Second Club NA

Is that a custom fabricated x-pipe or pre-fabbed? I assume thats aluminized steel? Are those the Dynomax bullets? Thanks for the info, pics, and sound clips. Sounds and looks awesome!
Old 05-04-2004, 06:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Bullets are like open y pipe but only 80% as loud.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
bullets... so loud... so very loud.

I run ATR Pit Bull mufflers, 3" stainless.
I ran a search for ATR and read your TD x-pipe thread. Do you have any video clips by chance? I have seen the picture on speed's site, but they mount them right before the exits on a Formula. They seem compact enough to mount in various positions, and have more resonator volume than bullets of course. After driving for a while, do you feel they quiet the exhaust enough to be a good alternative to larger straight through mufflers like ultraflows?
Old 05-04-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that a custom fabricated x-pipe or pre-fabbed?
Custom-fabbed

I assume thats aluminized steel?
Yes

Are those the Dynomax bullets?
I was told that they are glasspacks in reverse
Old 05-04-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

dvst8or, who did your true duels? if i could get them done like that, i would have it done without a doubt. but im in Oklahoma, and i dont think people do them like that here...

Quick Reply: Those with true duals/x-pipe/dumped, using bullet style mufflers, please come in.