Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers/Exhaust...??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers/Exhaust...??????

I was finally able to afford my SS two months ago, and now I want to add new Headers and Exhaust.. I have talked to a few people and they have told me to go with Hooker headers, and Borla Exhaust. I dont want my car to make that nasty chopping sound that I have heard some cars make. If you guys could give me some advice, that would be great. also, what price range does a good package run.. thanks..
Old 05-04-2004, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

That nasty chopping sound you are referring to is called Lope, and you like most will grow to love it. I started off the same way not wanting it to lope at all but the more I was around these cars and heard more of them the more I really like it. I've heard some cars that lope really hard and could barely hold an idle and I've heard some that sound like stock. I like most people fall somewhere in between those two extremes.

Anyway most of the time lope is from an upgraded cam being installed not from the exhaust. The exhaust will open the sound up though and make it louder, deeper and more aggressive but will not make it any more choppy.

If money is no object and you want the best go with the GMMG cat back and some good quality Longtubes like QTP and Kooks, some of the best out on the market right now.

Good luck with your future modding, and welcome to the club. Just beware it is very addicting (get bit by the mod bug)
Old 05-05-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just as 2K2blkss said QTP or Kook's is the way to go. I went with Kook's.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a lot of searching on the External Engine forum....there is a lot of info in there about picking your exhaust. Your worries about the choppiing sound were answered. QTP and Kooks make some great headers and the GMMG is an awsome catback, but I would look around there are a lot of choices and those particular ones are on the $$$ side. You can get a good set of coated headers really cheap now a days, and a good cat-back for no more than $350 where the GMMG is $750+. Look into true duals as well. I paid $550 for mine to dump at the axle, which is $200 less than a GMMG and with a cat-back you still need to buy a Y-pipe to go with the headers.......you could practically get true duals that go out the stock locations in the back for the price of the GMMG and a Y-pipe.

Hooker headers are nice, i have Jet-Hots which are practically the same thing. Middle of the road in price, look into Pacesetters I think they copied hooker's design. The Borla cat back is not worth the money! That is my opinion, but it costs as much as the GMMG and the GMMG is the ONE and ONLY very expensive cat-back that I could EVER imagine spending that kind of money on!

The best advice is to search and search and search, and try to hear them IN PERSON as well if you can because diff people have diff opinions and the speakers on your computer cannot come close to duplicating what it really truly sounds like in person.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

IF your like me and want the LOUDEST MEANEST not cleanest but just PLAIN RAW AND LOUD AND OBSENE.

Go Lts, ORY and SLP LM!

hehehehehe