Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C compressor reinstall ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor reinstall ???'s

Hi guys, anybody know their **** when it comes to reinstalling a compressor? I've been searching a lot about reinstallation and never came up with a good solid answer to this ?. My problem was the compressor I had on the car made really bad scraping noises as soon as I turned on the car. The noise would go away if I turned my A/C on. Anyway, I bought a used compressor off somebody getting rid of it for weight reduc. and no more noises. I just quickly started the car to make sure it was good. I'm ready to recharge the A/C system, but I want to make sure there's nothing in there that's going to damage the new compressor. I was looking at one of these pumps here on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43998 Will this type of pump do the trick to evacuate the system? Also, does the compressor need to be filled with oil before I install it or can I add the refrigerant w/ oil and be ok? (It's installed right now but only takes a couple of minutes to pull it back off) Any screens I should check to be safe? Lastly, how many oz. of refrigerant and oil should be put back in it after complete evac.? I know most would recommend a pro, but I've got no money for that right now or else I would take it somewhere. Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2004, 04:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the car to a A/C mechanic. They can pressure test and add whatever oil is need when re-filling the system.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Salvaged_Z
I know most would recommend a pro, but I've got no money for that right now or else I would take it somewhere. Thanks guys!
I know an A/C mechanic would be best, but I seriously don't have the money to pay somebody to do it for me. Anybody else?
Old 05-05-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

The tool you show bothers me because of how cheap it is. It would PROBABLY work, but how long i dont know, all it does is pull a vacuum on the a/c system and you are suppose to have it pulling vacuum for 30min, it removes all moisture out of the a/c system. The Compressor needs aprox 2 oz of oil if it is empty, but since you got it from someone, who knows if it is empty or not. You could pour all the oil out of the compressor and then add back in how much you need. You could check the orifice tube if you wanted to make sure that there was no metal in the system in case the compressor was coming apart internally, all you have to do is pull the lower line going in the the hvac box and then use needle nose pliers to remove it, then just checked for metal shavings in the screen. But with what you described it sounds more like a compressor clutch noise(external) due to the fact that it went away with a/c turned on. The a/c system on our cars take 1.5lbs of freon. Good Luck!

Clint
Old 05-05-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Salvaged_Z
I know an A/C mechanic would be best, but I seriously don't have the money to pay somebody to do it for me. Anybody else?
When I had that same thing done on my 99 SS it cost me $70. Check around... you can probably do better.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds good guys, thanks very much! $70? That's not too bad. I thought it'd be more. Although, I would still rather work on it myself if I could than have somebody else possibly mess it up. I get nervous when other people work on my cars. Thanks very much again.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you may have to add 2-3 ounces of oil to the compressor.. they dont take very much at all becasue there should be oil within the system that runs through the compressor. i just installed my new a/c compresor today, and now i have to figure out why this damn thing still isnt working.. i think there isnt a signall coming from the ecu...
Old 05-05-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

134a not freon. i'm about to hook up my new ac compressor also. So i need to check the oil level, and then just bolt it up? Then fill it up with 134a? Sounds easy enough, somebody let me know if i'm missing anything.

also how should i go about disconnecting the ac compressor on my car since its still charged with 134a?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black 98 T/A
134a not freon. i'm about to hook up my new ac compressor also. So i need to check the oil level, and then just bolt it up? Then fill it up with 134a? Sounds easy enough, somebody let me know if i'm missing anything.

also how should i go about disconnecting the ac compressor on my car since its still charged with 134a?
im not sure how u discharge the system, mine blew up so i guess it discharged all the gas before hand,, i just unbolted the 4 bolts holding it to the bracket, and then the 1 to the back and took it right off. i then added 4oz of oil and put it back on.. now im just figuring out where the wiring problem is
Old 05-05-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what kind of oil did u use?
Old 05-06-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

t.t.t.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

just pour a ounce or two in the compressor, pull off the mail ac line to thecondensor from the firewall, jerk the orfice out clean it well, re install that,then really you need a vacumn pump and guages, pump the bitch down 30-40 minutes,close the valve and watch for a drop in pressure if it drops anything noticably do not charge youll be wasting your freon and an O ring is probably messed up somewhere...
Old 05-09-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That vacuum pump is only $15 at Harbor Freight. I picked one up for $10 on sale. I thought for $10, I'd give it a try. You need a really big air compressor cfm wise for it to pull the vacuum needed. I have one and it won't pull as low a vacuum as the pump I made from an old refrigerator compressor. Just braze a fitting on the input line of the compressor and attach an A/C cord. I could only get around 21 in vac using a 4hp/25gal compressor with it. I can get 25 in vacuum with the refrigerator compressor. Also, the higher the elevation you are at, the higher the lowest vacuum you will be able to pull. Pulling a vacuum is not to evacuate the air out of the system, it is to get the moisture out. The lower the vacuum, the lower the temperature that water turns to vapor at.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

do i really need to worry about moisture if the compressor i have has oil in it?
Old 05-14-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black 98 T/A
do i really need to worry about moisture if the compressor i have has oil in it?
Anytime the system is open for any length of time you need to vacuum it down. Also you should replace the expansion valve and the drier/accumulater!
Believe me I know! I had alot of trouble with mine. It was cooling great until I did a H/C install. I had to let all the r-134a out and the system was open for nearly a month. I hooked it back up and regassed it and it would not cool. Replaced the expansion valve and the drier, re-loaded the sytem and it seems to be be cooling OK, though it won't go below 60 degrees on an 85 dgree day.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor reinstall ???'s