Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you true dual guys.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default How many of you true dual guys.......

Have gone back to a normal original exhaust? Im really interested in the true dual since im installing my headers, but is it too much? too loud? Ive done a search but nothing on this matter. I have also been searching for a shop that will do them all the way back, but for 6mos no luck. And i dont want to be worrying about them hitting. Ive heard sound clips and they sound nice, but i have never heard them in person......oh and im also not gonna run cats.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think theyre too lud, ive seen off-road y and catback setups that sound louder than my duals. if youre worried about ground clearance, i would definitely recommend 2.5" pipes. what you need to do is find someone who has them and listen to their car in person, then decide. good luck
Old 05-05-2004, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

I know for a fact I'm NOT going back to a cat-back.....
Old 05-05-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

If a shop runs them all the way back they probably have to go under the axle. I have not seen many F-Body's with duals over the axle. I know there is somewere on the net I have seen them over the axle but very expensive but I can't remember were.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

I went to GMMG after my duals. I kind of got tired of there not being tail pipes out the back. The GMMG is just as loud if not louder then what I had.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GMMG is just way too expensive, but i do agree it sounds bad ***.
TURO.....thats what ive been trying to do, find someone,but no one here in my town or valley even have camaros. Im just scared ill get tired of it, but i guess ill never know until i hear it.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:08 PM
FormerVendor

We are in the process of putting together a complete true dual kit over the axle. Just trying to get the routing perfect for no banging. The price will be reasonable.

Nate
Old 05-05-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

one of the first things i did to my car was saw off the stock catback. i like the look of no tips. First i had an off-road y-pipe setup, then went to a 2.5" true dual setup, and liked it so much i now have a 3" setup for my new LT' and H/C. The only reason I would go back to stock or anything like it is if i was going to try and sell the car. But everyone is different. I have only read once or twice of someone going back to a different setup...they just couldn't handle it i guess
Old 05-05-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

i changed it out. i'm now running a off-road y-pipe (with cut-outs ) with a stock cat-back. i couldn't stand how loud it was. i couldn't use my cell phone at all in my car and holding a conversation was a PITA. my entire car rattled from it! anyone who tells you it's not loud inside the car is just kidding themselves. they may not mind it, but it is definetly loud inside the car. at least its a good sounding loud though.

if i had been able to run over the axle for a decent price and run real mufflers then i would have loved to have kept it. dumped before the axle with bullets is just too much. not to mention the cops were allways on me about it being so loud (even gave me a ticket one time).
Old 05-05-2004, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

The duals I built for my car are awesome and would never go back to a Y/catback setup. Mine dumps at the axle and it's not too loud. It sounds like an old style muscle car.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOVE my true duals!!!(mine dump at axle) Never going back to that retarded Y-pipe setup. Would you be doing dumps at the axles are go out the back? It sounds to me like the only way people don't like the true duals is if they have dumps and don't want to spend the money to have them go out the back. There is interior drone at certain RPM and load, and it does rattle stuff inside the car, but it sounds AWSOME and I LOVE IT

If I ever have the extra money down the road I might have them taken all the way out the back......but there is something about the way the exhaust hits off the ground that makes it sound almost like lope even on a stock cam...........can't wait till I can finally afford a REAL cam next year!!!!!! BUT I DON'T WANT TO WAIT A YEAR FOR A CAM I WANT ONE NOW
LOL
Old 05-05-2004, 05:08 PM

I love mine, but Im seriously considering going to the off road Y and Hooker CB. Its loud inside the car, the ground clearence is starting to suck and I want to hear the radio again. Also, my interior is starting to smell like exhaust. Does it sound good... HELL YEAH!!!!! but is a couple horses and the irritation worth it, not unless you have a drag car IMHO. Its also just another reason to be pulled over from the po-po. I cant even have a drink if Im out somewhere If a catback hinders the flow that much (and I doubt it does) then Ill put dual cutout in the Y.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Country Boy
I love mine, but Im seriously considering going to the off road Y and Hooker CB. Its loud inside the car, the ground clearence is starting to suck and I want to hear the radio again. Also, my interior is starting to smell like exhaust. Does it sound good... HELL YEAH!!!!! but is a couple horses and the irritation worth it, not unless you have a drag car IMHO. Its also just another reason to be pulled over from the po-po. I cant even have a drink if Im out somewhere If a catback hinders the flow that much (and I doubt it does) then Ill put dual cutout in the Y.

Thats exactly how i think im gonna feel.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

i love mine but it is loud as hell in the car if u get headaches easy dont get them,if u plan on lowering your car it will not work
Old 05-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Teching In

I believe how loud it is depends on which mufflers you go with. I have 12" Flo Pro Twisters and they really arent that loud. A guy a I know with bullets is switching over to these because he cant stand how loud his are. I dont mind them and I can listen to the radio or talk on the cell phone with no problem. Run through a tunnel at WOT with LTs and True Duals and youll never run any other set-up. I personnelly have never met someone who didnt love their True Dual set-up.
Ive got a Lanes set-up and it will work on a lowered car fine.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Love my 3 inch X pipe duals. I picked up a .13/1.5 mph over my old mac ORY and cutout a few weeks back. I'll never put another junk Y pipe back on the car!!
Old 05-05-2004, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

www.ls1speed.com sells true duals over the axle with dual mufflers, but the price is pretty steep @ 1,100 dollars
Old 05-05-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silly02SS
www.ls1speed.com sells true duals over the axle with dual mufflers, but the price is pretty steep @ 1,100 dollars
Why do you need to go over the axles?

I have true duals, the stock Monaro is a true dual setup. Sounds deep and throaty but still street legal. Uou need to have a loud system to get max. power, you can still have a legal and quiet setup that delivers the same horsies.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Went from duals w/ bullets to a 4" Over the Axle system with a Spintech muffler to reduce the in-car volume and so I could have tips. However, I'm going back to duals, but this time with real mufflers.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StreetStalkerZ
Love my 3 inch X pipe duals. I picked up a .13/1.5 mph over my old mac ORY and cutout a few weeks back. I'll never put another junk Y pipe back on the car!!
tell me that after driving with it for two years

i used to sound the same exact way