Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another underdrive/harmonic balancer pulley question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another underdrive/harmonic balancer pulley question

Ok, so sorry if this has been covered 100 times before, but I couldn't find a concrete answer. Which would be more beneficial and why? A 10% or 25% underdriven pulley? And which brand is acceptable? ATI? ASP? Fluidamper? And why? For what its worth, I have heads, cam, intake, full exhaust, stock cubes. What is the best bang for my buck?
Old 10-20-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends how much extra little power you want. Almost anyone goes with a 25% UD now days. A SLP is a legit pulley for the price and quality, but ATI is top notch but its more $. Id rather go with a ATI regardless of the price if you are willing to pay for it. You dont wanna go too cheap on a pulley specially if you drive around alot.
The following users liked this post:
GTO3DEUCES (05-06-2020)
Old 10-20-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with the slp pulley. Should be a good 5 hp gain.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, for what it is worth, it is not a daily driver. Do the claims about charging issues prove false or true?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

ATI 10% . Great design and rebuildable
Old 10-20-2013, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UnVMySS
Ok, for what it is worth, it is not a daily driver. Do the claims about charging issues prove false or true?
False....stick with 10%. ATI, move on
Old 10-20-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an SLP UDP. Gained 1/10" and a couple mph. I see no charging issues. My car is cammed and idles at 900rpms vs the stock 650 or so...that may be why.

ATI is almost twice the cost of the SLP/Powerbond.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the ATI is the far superior pulley to the others.... its the reason why NHRA guys use it and they dont use anything else.
you probably wont see issues from a 10% underdrive....but if you do, just know there are alternator upgrades you can do to counteract it....the simplest thing is to buy a different alternator pulley..you can also buy a better alternator with an exciter made to come in sooner at lower alternator RPM.

one thing to remember....

Just switching to an ATI damper alone(the full size one) is good enough to gain you a little power thru superior Harmonic Dampening.
as you go up in power, you need all the dampening you can get...vibration will tear the hell out of your bottom end...
guys with an ATI typically can push the limits of the stock bottom end further because of better harmnonic control.

once you get upwards of 600 RWHP... its time to stick with the bigger one...not enough dampening power in the underdrive pulleys....
and if you use a cheaper SLP underdrive... dont expect much past 500 RWHP to be safe.

also, High RPM, means you need a full size damper and not a smaller underdrive one
Old 10-20-2013, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by soundengineer
the ATI is the far superior pulley to the others.... its the reason why NHRA guys use it and they dont use anything else.
you probably wont see issues from a 10% underdrive....but if you do, just know there are alternator upgrades you can do to counteract it....the simplest thing is to buy a different alternator pulley..you can also buy a better alternator with an exciter made to come in sooner at lower alternator RPM.

Just switching to an ATI damper alone(the full size one) is good enough to gain you a little power thru superior Harmonic Dampening.
as you go up in power, you need all the dampening you can get...vibration will tear the hell out of your bottom end...
guys with an ATI typically can push the limits of the stock bottom end further because of better harmnonic control.

once you get upwards of 600 RWHP... its time to stick with the bigger one...not enough dampening power in the underdrive pulleys....
and if you use a cheaper SLP underdrive... dont expect much past 500 RWHP to be safe.

also, High RPM, means you need a full size damper and not a smaller underdrive one
Couldn't have said it better myself, ATI is NHRA approved for a reason. And another example of the " You get what you pay for" saying.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:07 PM
8 Second Club

you can gain more power from Superior harmonic control than you can from underdriving a couple of accessories a little bit.
not to mention, no charging headaches.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have a powerbond and its been fine.

i had an ASP before that. i now have been told to avoid them.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

ATI seems to be the general concensus. Thanks fellas.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

So if anyone wouldn't mind, post a link to the exact one I should get. Preferably the least expensive.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Also, it seems these are all for supercharged vehicles. i am not s/c, will it matter or benefit me still?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Scoggin Dickey has a Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, new bolt, and belts for $200-$225 I believe. I've had a Powerbond 25% underdrive on both my ws6 (a4) and now my c5 (m6). Never have I had any issues with lights dimming, steering getting harder, battery not charging, AC getting warmer, etc. I think very very few people even experience one of these issues above and just re-post what they've seen other people post. My throttle response was quicker, not sure how much power I gained from it but my car was tuned/dyno'ed with it installed with other parts. I have a few friends with the Powerbond 25% underdrive with heads/cam setup's on their f-bodies and c5z's.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:43 AM
8 Second Club

Also, it seems these are all for supercharged vehicles. i am not s/c, will it matter or benefit me still?
They are not all for supercharged vehicles... you are just looking at the wrong ones

So if anyone wouldn't mind, post a link to the exact one I should get. Preferably the least expensive.
its multiple part #'s... its not one solid piece....its a modular Pulley

Damper - 917242
4 Rib Rear for AC - 916734
Hub for Pulleys - 916031

and "Cheap" is not going to go in the description when you are talking about a Good Damper

http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...ts/damserp.htm
Attached Thumbnails Another underdrive/harmonic balancer pulley question-ati-dampers-f-body.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer

Yes, yes, yes!! Full size non UD ATI super damper part # 917242
Old 10-21-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the part numbers fellas. So full size and not 10% underdriven?

Wait, I need to order those other 2 parts to get this to work? The hub and ac ?

Last edited by UnVMySS; 10-21-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:10 PM
8 Second Club

your engine will be happier with the full size...
and honestly, it will make more power into higher rpms with the full size than you will with the underdrive....
it takes Mass to absorb vibrations....and the underdrive pulley has less mass than the full size.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Do I have to use that hub and ac thing? Sorry im a newb on this but trying to learn.

Quick Reply: Another underdrive/harmonic balancer pulley question