Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help me decide

OK, I'm thinking about a new cat-back exhaust setup for my car (2000 Z/28, all engine parts are stock, except MTI lid, K&N filter, NGK TR55 plugs and Taylor Thundervolt wires). After listening to the clips on www.ls1sounds.com, I have narrowed my choices down to the Hooker or the Magnaflow systems. This is a daily driver, so I'm not looking for obnoxious sound (yet). I like the fact that both of these systems seem to have a good throaty growl, without sounding metallic or raspy. Anyone who has/had these systems have any input?

I've been holding out on doing any big mods until I upgrade the exhaust, and this is the first step.

TIA.

-Mike
Old 05-05-2004, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

I had hooker cat-back before i got the gmmg. The hooker is nice and it sounds real good, had a nice tone to it, couldnt even hear it much at cruising speeds but when you get on it it sounds good. I got rid of it because it just wasnt loud enough, but it is a real great exhaust system for the price
Old 05-05-2004, 03:11 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard the Hooker in person, and I too feel it's too quiet for my tastes. It's a very nice setup though, and very smooth sounding. At idle, it's really not much louder than stock, and even under WOT, it's not really that loud, just smooth without rasp.

I hear the Magnaflow is a bit louder when compared to the Hooker. I haven't heard the Magnaflow in person though.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like two votes for Hooker. I really like the idea of an aftermarket exhaust that sounds stock at cruising speed and opens up when I romp on it.

Anyone else?

-Mike
Old 05-06-2004, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Well, I have the Hooker cat-back, but I also have Longtube Headers and an Off-Road Y-pipe. With my set up at idle, you can hear the car idle pretty well from a few yards away. When I rev it, the car sounds like I have a lion under the hood. I can here the car when cruising, but I've also had a friend drive my car while I followed in another, and it sounded awesome to me. Different sound from outside the car. I would guess with stock exhaust manifolds and cats, the car might sound a little louder than stock. The one thing that suprises my about the hooker, is that at cruising speed, the sound is pretty deep and not too loud. Which might get some people to think my car is stock. But when I give it some gas, my car just screams. Oh, and I also like the exhaust tips that come with the system much better than the magnaflow tips.