Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install....no codes, but strange sound...please help

Old 05-09-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Header install....no codes, but strange sound...please help

My buddy and I finnished installing the Dynatech Supermaxx headers on my 02 Z06 yesterday. The car starts right up with no codes, but there is a very strange squealing/fluttering/gurgling sound as the engine revs slowly past 1400 rpms or whenever you let off the gas. The strange part is that it idles perfectly without a hint of noise. The first thing I did was check for exhaust leaks. Used the soapy water and got nothing. The cars got about 50 miles on it since the install, so the headers have had time to heat cycle, and I cant find a leak anywhere in the system. Since we had to remove the laternator for the install, I though maybe it was the belt. But after removing it and reinstalling it twice, and starting the car up without the belt on, Im fairly certain its not the belt. I also turne the alternator and all of the other pulley with the belt off to make sure it wasnt any of them. Its not. Now Im completely stumped and very worried. The sound is definately comming for the drivers side of the engine and sounds like its internal. But why would a simple header install cause something to go wrong internally?? Im out of ideas. Any help would be much appriciated. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do vette's have AIR fittings? If so, this might be the issue
http://riptide63.homestead.com/restrictor.html
Old 05-09-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yes I guess they do...although Ive never heard of anyone having problems with them like in the FBodys although I guess it would make sense. I owned a 98 TA that I put SLP headers on a while back, and did make those restricters and never had a problem, maybe Ill give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the idea!!

Search this Thread