Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutted Cats.. Pass emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutted Cats.. Pass emissions?

Hey all!

I'm gonna be throwing a set of LT's on my car soon and I need to get a custom Y done up for me. My question is, I have to pass a sniffer up here and a visual as well. The sniffer isn't as strict as Cali's so I figured if I gutted the Cat's I could save some money and still pass a visual..

Anyone here pass emissions tests with gutted CAT's and some sims? Cali test?

Any/all help appreciated!
Old 05-09-2004, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you will pass visual but no way you will pass the sniffer test.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks man.. any more opinions?

Damn CATS... our E-testing is going away come 2006 but that's a ways away.. I still need to probably pass 1 more test.. I'm gonna do some research and see if I fail and pay the 250 bucks to try and make it pass, if I'll be good till the e-testing crap dies up here..
Old 05-09-2004, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i know down where i am they do the sniffer, but they give you like 10 tries before you can pay to make it pass. You get two tries per payment, thats $150 then you still gotta pay that fine of $250. Thats to much dough, try to find someone that'll get you a sticker. Or just get lt's and high flow cats, they only rob about 8rwhp. Thats what i would do, then when the sniffer test gets revoked just get an ory. Or get FLP headers or something with cats/race pipes that swap out
Old 05-09-2004, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Yeah fur shure.. I hear yah.

I'm gonna see if I can't score some Cheapo Dynomax Cats/whatnot.. that or price out the magnaflows and see what the difference is. I plan on doing headers in the fall.. I'm thinkin for now I might just get my exhaust guy to cut out my shitty flat Y and put in a good round one for the heck of it.. it'd be free so why not

Thanks for the help man!
Old 05-09-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, emmisions suck. Here, if you fail once you are deemed a gross pollutor for your car's lifetime. And then you pay a huge fine and have to smog once a year.