Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Someone Educate Me on EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Someone Educate Me on EGR?

Ive got a 2000 SS and I'm planning on getting headers put on. But I keep hearing everyone talkin about the EGR and AIR tubes on these cars.I wanted to know what these are what happens if you take them off (HP Gain?) will I pass emmissions? Do you block them off?
Old 05-10-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The AIR and EGR systems are for emissions. The AIR system has an air pump that injects air into the exaust manifolds to help warm up the cats quicker. The EGR system takes exaust gases from the exaust manifold and reinserts it back into the intake. Deleting these systems will throw SES but won't hurt performance.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
The AIR and EGR systems are for emissions. The AIR system has an air pump that injects air into the exaust manifolds to help warm up the cats quicker. The EGR system takes exaust gases from the exaust manifold and reinserts it back into the intake. Deleting these systems will throw SES but won't hurt performance.
What about emmissions? Will I pass without them?
Old 05-10-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm not sure here in Florida we don't have to worry about that . If they do OBDII type of test and if you still have an SES then I think you would fail, if you delete the codes you might pass. Do they do visual checks?
Old 05-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Teching In

They plug us up to a computer here in Tennessee. And they put a mirror under the car to check for cats as well. But I heard you could run without cats if you did something in LS1 Edit. Not sure exactly what you do though. You Know?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
Why did they delete the EGR on 01-02's but keep the AIR?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Dubj... LS1 edit can delete the rear o2 sensors when you don't have anymore cats and the EGR & AIR

Camaro SS 2002...01-02 LS1 received the camshaft from the trucks which brought some of the emissions down to the point were GM could delete the EGR. The AIR is retained because of the cats
Old 05-11-2004, 06:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The EGR is the EPAs way of forcing you to coat your intake manifold and the intake runners on your heads with soot. If you look at the inside of your intake and even the backside of your throttlebody (downstream from the butterfly) you'll see a nice thick coating of soot. If you could shrink yourself small enough you could make a million doing the same thing a chimney sweep does on fireplaces to intake manifolds. Just block off the EGR bung on your headers with some flat stock and let the EGR breath thru the disconnected tube. I put some K&N foam filter material inside the tube that leads to the EGR valve itself to act as mini filter. No SES codes are set with this method becaucse the EGR still opens and closes when commanded to do so because it is still electrically connect and it still flows although it is flowing clean filtered air instead of that dirty soot that comes out out your headers on the way to your cats.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
The EGR is the EPAs way of forcing you to coat your intake manifold and the intake runners on your heads with soot. If you look at the inside of your intake and even the backside of your throttlebody (downstream from the butterfly) you'll see a nice thick coating of soot. If you could shrink yourself small enough you could make a million doing the same thing a chimney sweep does on fireplaces to intake manifolds. Just block off the EGR bung on your headers with some flat stock and let the EGR breath thru the disconnected tube. I put some K&N foam filter material inside the tube that leads to the EGR valve itself to act as mini filter. No SES codes are set with this method becaucse the EGR still opens and closes when commanded to do so because it is still electrically connect and it still flows although it is flowing clean filtered air instead of that dirty soot that comes out out your headers on the way to your cats.
Thats pretty cool man, Ive never even heard of people doin that before. I guess that it only makes sense though. I appreciate it guys!
Old 05-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

If I'm not mistaken...I'm pretty sure removing the AIR pump will not set an SES light. But I would like to know if a car could pass the sniffer without its AIR. Here in WV, its fairly easy to find a maw and paw mechanic shop that does inspections where they really don't bother to do most, if any, of the inspection steps...
Old 05-11-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Svingos129
If I'm not mistaken...I'm pretty sure removing the AIR pump will not set an SES light. But I would like to know if a car could pass the sniffer without its AIR. Here in WV, its fairly easy to find a maw and paw mechanic shop that does inspections where they really don't bother to do most, if any, of the inspection steps...
Removing Air will throw a code. I took mine off Sunday and it threw a code the next day for the Secondary Air Injection (Air)