Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kinda disappointed in headers.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kinda disappointed in headers.....

well I ordered some Pacestter LTs and Y-Pipe... put a 18 in. Dynomax Bullet Muffler on there with a turndown and the car is actually QUIETER than my old setup...

my old setup was: stock headers, Bassani ORY, 12 inch Dynomax Bullet Muffler with a tundown....

with the new headers, at idle, i cann't hear the car but just a tad.... when i take off, it feel like something hits the bottom of the car right at first, but besides that, there is some deeper rumble, but NOT louder by any means...

i bought the Pacesetter headers because my b/f got Hookers and he loved them.. and Pacesetters were the same design and everything... I dunno, i guess I just thought that going from Stock to Aftermarket headers, the car would be louder.... but people say after I get the cam installed, it will make the car louder at idle...

but on a side note.... i have a 99 and my b/f had NO trouble getting the headers in at all, he didn't have to notch the K-Member or anything... the only thing, I think that knocking noise when I first take off is the Y-pipe hitting the floorboard.... anyone else have this trouble?
Old 05-10-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think most everyone with pacesetters is having the ypipe problem, they are garbage, i can only hope the new design is better. you may want to check to see if the banging isnt actually coming from it hitting the kmember as well. you running cats before and no cats now?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hourang
i think most everyone with pacesetters is having the ypipe problem, they are garbage, i can only hope the new design is better. you may want to check to see if the banging isnt actually coming from it hitting the kmember as well. you running cats before and no cats now?
no catalytic converters either time...

i feel the bang on the gas pedal could that be from the K-member? i feel it when it first push down the gas to go, after that its alright... but it bothers me...
Old 05-10-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS GIRL
no catalytic converters either time...

i feel the bang on the gas pedal could that be from the K-member? i feel it when it first push down the gas to go, after that its alright... but it bothers me...
yeah i cant see it making too much noise difference with the stock manifold vs the long tubes, but will be required with the cam most people notice a difference cuz they go from stock catted stock crap ypipe to the long tubes/ypipe with no cats.

yeah the headers will only hit under hard accelleration when the motor is torqued as much as it can, it either needs the kmember notched for the headers or the ypipe needs to be bent so it wont hit on the bottom of the car or the torque arm. you can try putting a piece of rubber between the car and ypipe to reduce the noise. it seems likely that if you get poly motor mounts the banging could go away.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i cant see it making too much noise difference with the stock manifold vs the long tubes, but will be required with the cam most people notice a difference cuz they go from stock catted stock crap ypipe to the long tubes/ypipe with no cats.

yeah the headers will only hit under hard accelleration when the motor is torqued as much as it can, it either needs the kmember notched for the headers or the ypipe needs to be bent so it wont hit on the bottom of the car or the torque arm. you can try putting a piece of rubber between the car and ypipe to reduce the noise. it seems likely that if you get poly motor mounts the banging could go away.
i think i have read someone somewhere saying they placed rubber underthere...

im about to do a search...

and see about the loudness of the car... it was louder BEFORE i got the headers while it was idling... i dunno... i am just

but i was kinda comparing it to a while back when my b/f got his Hooker LTs, but he went from stock exhaust, catalytic converters, stock everything...

and mine wasn't switching from stock, so i see what your saying now...
Old 05-10-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98sspullin'em
i think i have read someone somewhere saying they placed rubber underthere...

im about to do a search...

and see about the loudness of the car... it was louder BEFORE i got the headers while it was idling... i dunno... i am just

but i was kinda comparing it to a while back when my b/f got his Hooker LTs, but he went from stock exhaust, catalytic converters, stock everything...

and mine wasn't switching from stock, so i see what your saying now...
yeah i did on my friends car, lol cut an old shoe in half with my sawsaw then wedged it in there, it helped a lot but its hitting on the kmember too.

yeah dont know why it would be louder before, could be anything from the design of the ypipe to the decreased backpressure :dunno: im guessing it will get better with the cam, especially at idle
Old 05-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

I tried putting rubber under my FLP's and then I just took it to the exhaust shop and they heated and bent the Y down to stop the bumping on the floor board.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Q
I tried putting rubber under my FLP's and then I just took it to the exhaust shop and they heated and bent the Y down to stop the bumping on the floor board.
yup thats how your supposed to fix it, lol.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Q
really.... i guess we should take another look at that whole thing... i thought people said they had to notch the k-member when they installed it, i guess i was wrong... is it so that it doesn't bang when your driving...
Old 05-10-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

really.... i guess we should take another look at that whole thing... i thought people said they had to notch the k-member when they installed it, i guess i was wrong... is it so that it doesn't bang when your driving...
yes, you do not have to notch the kmember to intall it, it is for banging. if you cant install it you have to cut the little tab off of the block like we had to.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, you do not have to notch the kmember to intall it, it is for banging. if you cant install it you have to cut the little tab off of the block like we had to.
ooohhh ok thanks a ton!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

i didn't drive my car yesterday, i drove my b/fs, but i noticed today when i drove my car to work, the banging under the car is kinda getting worse... my b/f said its not hitting the k-member he said that its just hitting up under the car when i torques...

so i want to fix that, but going to the exhaust shop and getting them to bend it is the last option because i don't want to mess with it unless i HAVE to in case i end up selling these....

any other way to solve this?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Launching!

I went from stock mainfolds with o/r pipes and a cutout and Macs with o/r pipe with a cutout.Didn't seem much louder driving normal but much deeper.It is way louder at WOT......
Old 05-11-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stew w/92&amp
I went from stock mainfolds with o/r pipes and a cutout and Macs with o/r pipe with a cutout.Didn't seem much louder driving normal but much deeper.It is way louder at WOT......
i went from a 2.5 inch y-pipe to a 3 inch y-pipe as well... so that might have something to do with it also...
Old 05-11-2004, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

I got Flowtech's and a Borla installed a little over 3 weeks ago and let me say the it is quieter at an idle than the flodisaster.now WOT is a different story its pretty loud but not really raspy. We had to notch my k-member it was rubbing pretty bad,the y pipe still hits when the motor torques up.If you want to be loud though you should get a LM they are loud and raunchy.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i didn't drive my car yesterday, i drove my b/fs, but i noticed today when i drove my car to work, the banging under the car is kinda getting worse... my b/f said its not hitting the k-member he said that its just hitting up under the car when i torques...

so i want to fix that, but going to the exhaust shop and getting them to bend it is the last option because i don't want to mess with it unless i HAVE to in case i end up selling these....

any other way to solve this?
well you might want to check if the ypipe is installed all the way back, i think you can try to bang the ypipe back further on the ipipe, because when you install them you put the ypipe as far as you can on the headers so that you can install the ipipe but then i think your supposed to move it back afterwards, may give some clearance. can try wedging the rubber in there, it helps, or try the poly motor mount thing. good luck.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wickedhawk
I got Flowtech's and a Borla installed a little over 3 weeks ago and let me say the it is quieter at an idle than the flodisaster.now WOT is a different story its pretty loud but not really raspy. We had to notch my k-member it was rubbing pretty bad,the y pipe still hits when the motor torques up.If you want to be loud though you should get a LM they are loud and raunchy.
the rubbing? what kind of sound did that make? could you feel it through the gas pedal.. i drove her car and when i heard that certain distinct noise i could feel it with my foot on the gas pedal... it make a totally different noise than the banging noise from the y-pipe hitting? could that be her y-pipe hitting the k-member
Old 05-11-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98sspullin'em
the rubbing? what kind of sound did that make? could you feel it through the gas pedal.. i drove her car and when i heard that certain distinct noise i could feel it with my foot on the gas pedal... it make a totally different noise than the banging noise from the y-pipe hitting? could that be her y-pipe hitting the k-member
the ypipe will not hit the k-member, it cant, hehe. the headers can hit, check the clearance between the headers and kmember.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok thanx

Last edited by 98sspullin'em; 05-11-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

*childish flamebait removed*

Last edited by WILWAXU; 05-11-2004 at 03:47 PM.