Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little Pissed about this LsX, called FAST..FYI

Old 05-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Little Pissed about this LsX, called FAST..FYI

Yeah so this LxS is making me pretty unhappy at this point.

When I got the thing everything appeared to be there and blah blah. I dealt with the usual b.s of putting rtv on the map sensor and all that. i port matched it to my heads.

Now, here's where my problems are. Bottom line the car has just not ran well since putting it on, i've had this thing on and off like 50 times trying to find the problems and to no avail.

I just called FAST to complain about these two main issues that I believe are my problem(s)

1--The top section of this three piece design, the "upper runner" i guess for lack of better term will NOT seal down when I put the intake together..the passenger side of the intake seals down nice and clean like it should..the drivers side will not..there is a 1/8" gap there no matter what i do, I've tried every method and pattern of tightening up the bolts that hold it all together and it just does not fit together properly. It seems to seal up when put on the car and tightened down but I think it is still leaking.

2--Very recent discovery. Mine did NOT come with the damned washers for the hex bolts. What does this mean? Well even when following directions and not torqing them past 50 inch lbs(yes I have an inch/lbs TQ wrench) the bolts went into the manifold and cracked it in several places, it broke one of the nubs totally in half. I managed to semi fix this thinking it was my fault but I think it is still causing a leak. I only found out Sat while helping a friend install his that it is supposed to come with washers like the stock bolts have built in to dissapate the pressure. Could this be blamed on a lack of logical thinking on my part..maybe but I assumed an expensive as hell product would have everything needed with it, so I just put it on, not thinking hey maybe these should have washers. either way, not my fault.

I called them just now and the guy is going to be talking to the sales manager and getting back to me about what maybe to do.

will keep everyone updated, i hope they take care of this. I told him I am ready to search for and print off the numerous posts that I have seen complaining of the FAST intake coming without parts or with quality control issues and give them to him.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on your situation. Please keep us informed on how everything turns out. I hope everything gets resolved.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Motorboater

will do, still waiting for the call back from them
Old 05-10-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
will do, still waiting for the call back from them
Geezus, first the ill-fitting 90mm throttle body and now this. I was on the fence about buying this setup myself, but I really don't know now. For spending something like $1300+ dollars or more to get iffy dyno results and or sh*tty quality....... just seems like it really isn't worth it.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are the dyno results of an lsx on a H/C port matched with 90mm tb?
Old 05-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Motorboater

well so far i've been pretty unhappy with the quality and i told them that today in a very strong manner. i've spent WAY too much time ******* with this thing trying to get it to work right.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good luck. I sent FAST an e-mail about the poor quality of the LSX and I have not heard from them yet.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

You'd think with the amount of money those guys at FAST are making they could put the time into sending you all the parts and making a decent product. If they have any amount of customer service, they should give you a totally new unit, at their shipping costs, and then offer to kiss your ***.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:54 AM
Launching!

glad I just paid $300 for an LS6 intake.....
Old 05-11-2004, 09:18 AM
Motorboater

never heard back from them yesterday, will be calling again shortly to continue my ranting.

16rollin..i agree, i want a whole new unit, this one if all f'd up at this point. even if it weren't cracked in a few places by the bolts, the fact that the top layer won't seal down into the bottom properly is enough for me to want a new one..
Old 05-11-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So far these are the modifications I've had to personally make to get this far:

- Figure out a way to securely fasten the MAP sensor to the back of the intake. One that wouldn't give when it gets really hot.
- I had to modify (dremel) the intake itself as the throttle cam was hitting the side of the intake; thats right a Fast TB hitting a Fast Intake.
- I had to modify the throttle cam (dremel) cause the cam was hitting the top edge of the water pump (Mezeire EWP, not a biggie - had to do it to the stocker).
- I had to use RTV sealant on various locations within the intake after the instructions told me to remove the upper section for inspection of the rope seal.
- Move (pushing downward) the water x-over on the heads to clear the bottom of the intake.

I'm waiting on parts to come back from the powdercoater before I completely re-assemble the engine so I can't comment on how well it runs. I will say that I have to assemble everything by Thursday night so i'll post back when I get it started.

Anyway, just thought I would add my comments and hope that FAST responds quickly to the "Early Adopters" of their products. If FAST truly is a stand up company they will come through and rectify the problems all of us are having or better stated 'may have' in the long run.

Andy

[QUOTE=SilverGhost]

1--The top section of this three piece design, the "upper runner" i guess for lack of better term will NOT seal down when I put the intake together..the passenger side of the intake seals down nice and clean like it should..the drivers side will not..there is a 1/8" gap there no matter what i do, I've tried every method and pattern of tightening up the bolts that hold it all together and it just does not fit together properly. It seems to seal up when put on the car and tightened down but I think it is still leaking.

QUOTE]
Old 05-11-2004, 10:19 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Email bbrannen@compcams.com, Com owns FAST and Brian is on the board quite a bit, there is no need for ranting.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Motorboater

i'm not ranting john, please don't accuse me of that.

i have had this intake for months now and have been trying hard to get it to work right without bitching to FAST about it. i made this post to inform people, and i am FAR from the only one that has done it, many in a much less nice manner than myself.

and so what if i was ranting(once again I am NOT)..when you pay a lot of money for something it should work, not be a big *** headache. people complain about products on this site constantly, isn't that one of the points of having the forum..feeback??

i can't get my work email involved in something like that..could you let him know to come take a look at this thread??
Old 05-11-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Something must be wrong with the intake mine sealed back up with no problem. IMO I think the intake is pretty good quality for a 3 piece design it's the planning and engineering I think was on the poor side. See if you can get a refund on the T/B and ship it back and get the TPIS I'm real happy with mine and it runs great.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:39 AM
Motorboater

i don't have their throttle body, no problems with the TB, its just the intake issues.

FAST rep has told me no, they will not help.

Pro Stock John is attempting to help me through his contacts with them as of now
Old 05-11-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

obviously they are too stupid to realize that if they are giving out the occasional defect and not fixing it they they will loose alot of sales when a large portion of their customers are on this board reading this stuff. you should have told them you would let the other thousands of ls1 enthusiasts that read this know how their service and parts were.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
FAST rep has told me no, they will not help.
So, they sell you a defective product that is also missing parts and now they will not stand behind their own product? After you just spent nearly a freaking grand for this thing? OMG.

Ok, so add bad customer service to the list too.... even if PSJ helps you get it resolved, that should be completely unnecessary.

It's unfortunate that customer service is an exception and not the rule nowadays. WTF.

For the kind of money these things cost, they should happily replace the defective part and send you a new one, maybe just the one piece from the 3 piece design. Ridiculous.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Motorboater

They have known from the start that the top piece is all I am asking for as of now. That is the piece I suspect to be flawed anyway as the intake does seem to seal down on the heads just fine, it just won't seal between the two halves properly. I was told it was my word against their's on the missing washers so I said ok then I want a new top piece regardless because of the sealing issue.

They called back just a bit ago because I told them they would be hearing from my lawyer and said send us the whole intake and we'll look at it.

That is not good enough for me, I'm not stupid, that's the game where it gets sent in and they say sorry we can't cover it. I am going to wait to hear from the higher ups that John has contacted for me instead before I do anything with it.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:17 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

If your top piece has sealing problems, and has since you got it, I'm sure that FAST will do whatever is in their power to help you so you can put it back on and enjoy it. I did email the head of FAST but in the meantime if you have an RMA number you might as well send it in.

Let's limit the bandwagoning in this thread since Sean is in contact with the company.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

Ghost,

How did you determine the MAP was leaking at hi temps? I'm curious because I had to re-route my MAP wire harness to stop the MAP from pulling out of the LSX. But my car ran like crap & threw the low MAP pressure code. What did yours do?

Paranoid in Seattle (Mark)

Search this Thread