Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes Violator MVV71 Muffler compatible /w stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pypes Violator MVV71 Muffler compatible /w stock exhaust?

I currently have a 10 year old flowcrapster 80 series on my 98 Z28. I am tired of it and wanted to order something that would give me a somewhat unique sound. I had decided on the pypes Violator.
The one they list for the camaro, MVV86S, is all wrong, it's also ridiculously expensive ($120-140). It has 3" offset in, 3" dual out. I believe I would ideally need 3" offset in, dual 2 1/2" out. Maybe it is designed for aftermarket cat-back's with larger tailpipes. I sure don't want to have to pay for 4 extra welds (adapters) and possibly have oddly spaced (stock) tailpipes to make it fit.

I did some browsing on pypes web site, and noticed the MVV71. It appeared to be the ideal muffler. 3" offset in, dual 2 1/2" out, and is MUCH cheaper. The case is even the same length (18"). I ordered one from LMPerformance, only to be emailed and that it is a "truck muffler", and not compatible.

What would make this a truck muffler? Based on the specs, it appears that it would function the same way as a stock muffler.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I typed in that part # on the Pypes website, it's listed as a universal muffler (MVV71). I really don't see it's inlet outlet configuration being on a truck, it looks more suited for the stock muffler location on a Camaro. Furthermore I see no reason why you should have any problem swapping it (MVV71) place of you FM 80, without anything more than minor adjustment needed.

IMO, go for it and enjoy!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 02-21-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

I wondered the same thing on that muffler. It was one of many I've looked at in my "exhaust hunt". I thought the same as you did, the one they say is for the Camaro is for sure wrong. It should be 3" in, 2.5" out. Maybe contact Pypes directly and see what they say about it. If you do end up getting one, let us know your thoughts!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I typed in that part # on the Pypes website, it's listed as a universal muffler (MVV71). I really don't see it's inlet outlet configuration being on a truck, it looks more suited for the stock muffler location on a Camaro. Furthermore I see no reason why you should have any problem swapping it (MVV71) place of you FM 80, without anything more than minor adjustment needed.

IMO, go for it and enjoy!
I agree. The only similar truck muffler i can think of would be a 4-way muffler, which is kind of a half-assed dual exhaust. I don't believe I've ever seen anything like a crossflow/transverse (1-in, 2-out) setup on a truck.

Originally Posted by CGT77
I wondered the same thing on that muffler. It was one of many I've looked at in my "exhaust hunt". I thought the same as you did, the one they say is for the Camaro is for sure wrong. It should be 3" in, 2.5" out. Maybe contact Pypes directly and see what they say about it. If you do end up getting one, let us know your thoughts!
I emailed Pypes on that very subject last Wednesday, and have yet to receive a reply. Maybe I should have used their contact form, rather than their "pre-sales email", or called them.

After I heard the Pypes video of the Violator on a 98 WS6, I was really interested in it. It was hard to get a good idea of the volume, due to the heavy wind noise. I would imagine it sounding like a baby SLP loudmouth, or maybe a LM2, without all the extra piping. With the stock (catted) exhaust so quiet on the LS1, I thought it would be a good option.

If I can get them to actually ship it, I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Maybe I screwed myself. I received the muffler, but have not had it installed yet. I just happened to come across this video on the pypes website. It shows the install, in a 2012 silverado. It looks like the inlet is the pipe by itself, which would be one of the tailpipes on a camaro muffler. On a truck, it's mounted front to back. My Muffler pipes aren't labeled, and I can't tell which is the proper inlet, by looking at it. LMK what u think. I guess I just should have ordered the Aero Chamber.

EDIT: Actually, it's obvious. The one pipe by itself is definitely the 3" inlet, the other two on the same side are smaller. Looking in the inlet side, the smooth, reverse side of the louvers are facing the inlet. The open side is facing the outlets. Oh well, it was worth a try. Quiet, boring exhaust, here I come! I'm NOT spending $140 on the Pypes crossflow muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJEp_B6StaY#t=129

Last edited by cam94z28; 02-28-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, sorry to hear the inlet/outlet configuration wasn't as expected. You can still run a pipe on the right side by getting a tight 180* bend an a length of straight pipe to run one of the muffler outlets over the passenger side.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ho...7hkr/overview/
Old 03-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Well, sorry to hear the inlet/outlet configuration wasn't as expected. You can still run a pipe on the right side by getting a tight 180* bend an a length of straight pipe to run one of the muffler outlets over the passenger side.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ho...7hkr/overview/
Thanks, that's definitely one option I hadn't considered. I would think any exhaust shop could do that 180 bend for less money. I also thought about maybe having custom tailpipes made and doing something like the SLP 2OTL (2-on-the-left). The problem is that the outlets are spaced quite a bit further apart than the 2OTL. It would take a few, matching, staggered bends to get the spacing correct at the bumper.

I also have a pair of C6 Corvette dual tips I'd like to use.

Last edited by cam94z28; 03-02-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Pypes Violator MVV71 Muffler compatible /w stock exhaust?