Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxygen Sensor Locations - Pass vs Driver Side

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygen Sensor Locations - Pass vs Driver Side

I just finished installing an LS1 into my S10 and had a question about O2 sensor locations.

My header collectors have bungs already welded in them and the location on the drivers side is fine and has a ton of clearance for the O2 sensor. The passenger side is a different story, as the clearance between the body/trans/frame is so tight that an O2 sensor won't fit in the collector. My question is, if I weld another bung further down the exhaust pipe where there is room, say about 5 to 6 inches, does that have any negative effects with the O2 sensor location being further down the exhaust than the drivers side?
Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 AM
TECH Resident

As long as its all sealed up it shouldn't effect it that much. Id say try to get it as close as possible just for good measure though.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

You will probably pop a cel for O2 sensor slow response or insufficient switching. A tune will take care of it though.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MadFirehawk86
You will probably pop a cel for O2 sensor slow response or insufficient switching. A tune will take care of it though.
So if I moved the drivers side down to match the passenger side location, then that should avoid that problem?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So if I moved the drivers side down to match the passenger side location, then that should avoid that problem?
No then you'll have that problem on BOTH sensors. The issue is not that they don't match up, it's because too far from the collector will decrease the accuracy and effectiveness.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redtan
No then you'll have that problem on BOTH sensors. The issue is not that they don't match up, it's because too far from the collector will decrease the accuracy and effectiveness.
Got it. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor Locations - Pass vs Driver Side