Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Custom Exhaust

Im building a LS6 Swapped G35 Coupe. The big ticket items are bought (ls6, t56, clutch/flywheel, injectors, fast 102, 102 tb, fuel system, etc ).

Now I am looking to source out the best exhaust that I can for it, which will be custom built.

I currently have a 2.25 inch true dual HKS exhaust + test pipes pipes with resonated chambers attached to them. The setup is perfect for my NA setup (260 hp) and worked well with my Vortech SC setup, which was running 400/375tq. I love the sound that it produces!

From my reaserch, the diameters will be too small, so I decided to go custom. As the car will continue to be a daily driver, I don't want it to be loud. I don't want it to sound like I truck, if that makes any sense? Also, not looking to get eletronic cutouts.

Car will have Fast 102, 102 dwb cable driven tb, mild cam like 228/228(springs+pushrods), and long tube headers from the swap kit. Goal is to be at around 425 with some room to grow.

The headers are ceramic coated inside and out, CNC mandrel bent 1.75 inch primary tubes. ceramic coated inside and out. The headers use a 1.75 x 4 to 3inch collector and have 3 inch V band clamps and O2 sensor bungs welded to the collector.

What should be the reset of my setup built like?
Should I continue with a 3" all the way down, should I add an X-Pipe? What would be the best mufflers to add at the end to make it the best sounding exhaust? I heard good things about magnaflow.

Is there an artermarket Y pipe that swap guys use, or are they always custom?
I saw something about Kook custom Y-Pipes?

Also, of course, I rather not overspend as the whole build is a pretty penny as we all know, but I want to do it right, so bang for the buck are welcome, and btw any fabrication on this is covered in the swap labor package already

The plan right now is long tube headers to custom y pipe going into custom x-pipe then 3in ss pipes going to dual Magnaflow #11219 mufflers (3 in 3 out). Thoughts?

Headers (non-coated version shown):

Car:

Current Exhaust Setup:

Thanks!

Last edited by LS6G35.Swap; 02-24-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that's a badass ride. Props to you

I would add a X-Pipe for a better quality sounds. Usually a nice muffler shop can make you a custom Y-Pipe for less. Idk if you want everything steinless steel.

Magnaflow mufflers will be a good choice.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Teching In

cool blackpanther99, thanks for the input.

So custom y pipe to x pipe.

what about drone, should i add a resonator past the headers to avoid in cabin drone?

Sorry guys I dont really know how the science behind the exhaust system really works to avoid drone, rasp, etc
Old 02-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6G35.Swap
cool blackpanther99, thanks for the input.

So custom y pipe to x pipe.

what about drone, should i add a resonator past the headers to avoid in cabin drone?

Sorry guys I dont really know how the science behind the exhaust system really works to avoid drone, rasp, etc

If you want a system you can live with everyday with no drone, quiet on the freeway, yet loud at WOT, you need Borla XR-1's. Expensive, but I just went through a catback that droned very badly and the Borla XR-1 turned it into the perfect system for me.

By the way, badass car man! I'm looking forward to updates.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No custom y into x. Put the x where the y would be
Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Oh got it so from headers to x pipe then down to the dual mufflers.

So are the XR-1s better sounding mufflers than the magnaflows? Less rasp and drone? I do see that they are more expensive (and then the xr1 multicores are even more)

Last edited by LS6G35.Swap; 02-26-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6G35.Swap
Oh got it so from headers to x pipe then down to the dual mufflers.

So are the XR-1s better sounding mufflers than the magnaflows? Less rasp and drone? I do see that they are more expensive (and then the xr1 multicores are even more)

Well sound is always subjective. Personally I've always liked the sound of Borla's mufflers better than Magnaflow. I will say this: With the exception of the discontinued Borla Stinger mufflers, I have never been in, or heard of a car with Borla mufflers that drone. Many people on this forum had bad drone problems with the SLP or dynomax mufflers, and when they switched to Borla it killed the majority of rasp, and all of the drone. When I switched to the SLP powerflo system my car droned VERY badly. So bad I didn't want to drive it at all. All I did was swap the SLP muffler in the i pipe to a Borla XR-1 and it killed ALL of the drone 100% So from personal experience and the research I have done before my own system I can tell you with confidence that the Borla XR-1's will not drone. In my opinion the Borla XR-1's are worth every penny. Do a search and you will not find a single person who isn't satisfied with those mufflers. (unless they like cars that are insanely loud and rasp/drone).

Since your car has duels it probably will not rasp. However, the only sure way to have a car that doesn't rasp is to have cats. At least some high flow cats. But with duels I wouldn't worry so much about rasp. I've heard some Corvettes without cats that don't rasp at all. I can't guarantee you that part though.

Quick Reply: LS6 Custom Exhaust