Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going carbureted, have a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going carbureted, have a question

I was looking on ebay and found an ls intake w/MSD6010 for a good price.
while reading the description i noticed a note that said.....
" NOTE: does not include MAP sensor or bracket"

what do I need a MAP sensor for if im going carbureted? Or is it just some general disclaimer?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a MAP sensor only if you are going to use the Curve chips, if you are going to put your own timing curves you can zero out the MAP curve file and you should be ok.
If you plug a chip in and you DO NOT have a MAP sensor plugged in the box will automatically add 20º of timing + your RPM timing up until 40º which is the default for the "MAX timing".
Also keep in mind that the 6010 is to be used in a 24X crank LS only, it will not work with a 58X reluctor motor.

hope this helps you out.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any suggestions which MAP to use? 2bar i would imagine?

This is all a little new to me. Im used to setting a distributor up (for example) 38* all in by 2500rpm. can someone point me in a direction to learn how to time an ls. as i am reading it doesnt seem to take nearly as much timing as gen1

Last edited by Steve T; 02-26-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

You can use a LS car or Truck MAP, use only a 2 bar MAP if you are

1. going to make your own tune
2. Running boost

Keep in mind that the box will automatically default to a 1 bar sensor if you plug a chip into the box.
If you are going to run a 2 Bar sensor you can get one from a Supercharged Cobalt this will plug right into the connector, but if you have an old style 1 or 2 Bar MAP you will need to cut the connector off and purchase a Green weather pack connector to plug into the old style sensor.

:-)

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 02-27-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Hmmm, learn something new every day, thanks for that info.
I thought the MAP would be needed for the equivalent of vacuum advance too.

Originally Posted by Sales2@Texas-speed
You need a MAP sensor only if you are going to use the Curve chips, if you are going to put your own timing curves you can zero out the MAP curve file and you should be ok.
If you plug a chip in and you DO NOT have a MAP sensor plugged in the box will automatically add 20º of timing + your RPM timing up until 40º which is the default for the "MAX timing".
Also keep in mind that the 6010 is to be used in a 24X crank LS only, it will not work with a 58X reluctor motor.

hope this helps you out.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

essentially yes, it is used for vacuum advance, but you can zero the curve out in the MSD box.
the curve chip adds a vacuum advance automatically that is why you need to have a MAP plugged into the harness even if you don't have a vacuum line attached to it.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And to make things even more interesting, MSD didn't set up their MAP curve with vacuum measurements. It's set up as pressure so you'll have to convert vacuum to pressure if you build your own tune with a MAP sensor.

Quick Reply: going carbureted, have a question