Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any difference in power, sound, flow, etc. between the 12" & 18" bullet muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 08:53 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any difference in power, sound, flow, etc. between the 12" & 18" bullet muffler?

Trying to decide if I should go with a 12" or 18" bullet muffler. I would think that the 12" would be louder, can anyone confirm this? How about flow and power, any difference? What do you think I should go with? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shorter louder.
Performance, just a guess, but should be the same as they flow like open pipe.
Flow for both has been rated at "over" 2200 cfm. There may be a difference though, the flow machine rates 3" open pipe the same... it doesn't measure any higher.
The shortie would fit better, the long would be slightly milder sounding.
Price difference: about $5
This is all assuming that we are talking about the DynoMax race bullet... others vary by manufacturer and some have fins inside to change flow characterisics.
Dave
Old 05-12-2004, 09:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

Sorry I didnt specify, Im referring to the Dynomax race bullets. Is 2200 cfm a good flow? What other mufflers compare and are there any other mufflers that outflow them? I was leaning more towards the 12" because theyre going to be a little lighter and take up less room, but then are going to be a little louder as well. Oh and theres only $1 difference between the two.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not really gonna find any sort of muffler that flows better. Have you ever even seen one? They are straight through, no baffles, no nothing, straight 3" of air. The outside of the pipe has holes in it though.

18" will be a little quieter, that's it.

Dope
Old 05-12-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't really consider them mufflers. Just pipes with holes in the side and some fiberglass around it. The inside of them is the same diameter as the pipe itself. The flow of these mufflers is just about equivalent to that of just a pipe.

The difference between 12" and 18" is sound. The 18" will be quieter than the 12".
Old 05-12-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Compare to other mufflers? No way.
The highest muffler flow I have heard of for our cars is Magnaflow at 1100 cfm. Most run 700 to 1000 cfm.
The LM flows like open pipe, but it has absolutely no baffling or packing.
Believe it or not, bullets do muffle the sound some.
If you are not using cats, the 12" can be raspy.
Dave
Old 05-12-2004, 10:43 PM
9 Second Club NA

I used to have the Loudmouth and theres absolutely nothing in there. Do the Dynomax bullets have anything in there? I know theyre straight through, but a lot of muffers are like that and have something in there to muffler the sound a little. I will be purchasing a set of Kooks, buying the Dr. Gas x-junction, and having a muffler shop fab up the rest of my duals kit. I dunno, I want it to sound good...what do you think...12" or 18"?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you prefer the god aweful loudness constantly, go for the 12's
I had the 12's in duals, and its fun for a while, but gets old quick
thats why im going back to a "traditional" muffler in the back
of course the 18s arent much better
Old 05-13-2004, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
I used to have the Loudmouth and theres absolutely nothing in there. Do the Dynomax bullets have anything in there? I know theyre straight through, but a lot of muffers are like that and have something in there to muffler the sound a little.
As mentioned earlier, the Dynomax bullets are a 3" straight-thru with a bunch of small holes in the pipe. There is about 0.5" of fiberglass packing around the 3" inner pipe (the overall body diameter of the muffler is 4"). It's definitely a straight-thru design.