Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone do a 3" y to flowmaster merge and single 4" out dumped?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone do a 3" y to flowmaster merge and single 4" out dumped?

I'm wanting to take off my tsp true duals and go back to a 3" y pipe with a 3" inlet 4" outlet flowmaster merge with single 4" pipe to a dynomax muffler probably dumped before the axle.

Anyone do this ? If so can you post pics and sound clips if you have any also pros/cons and opinions of this setup. Will be going on a h/c/I nitrous street car that's lowered
Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ihave mufflex ypipe(has same merge as flowmaster) thats dumped with a 4in dynomax bullet
very deep no rasp..we had to weld in a custom 4in u bend so that it was turned in slight angke so its not totally dumped striat on ground,,i get compliments all the time..

reason why i did it was i use to have a hooker y pipe and one side looked like it was blocked and restrictive..so we looked up mufflex which had the same merge..then sold my dynomax 3in bullet and bought 4inch
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hands down best exhaust to have for f bodies IMO. If you do a setup like this one I built then you cant tell the difference in sound between it and dual 3" x pipe. I actually think this setup made more power than my 3" duals with x pipe plus its lighter and its all welded together and installs/removes with a snap!
The following 2 users liked this post by Full-Force:
cosmo420 (08-22-2019), LS_ELKO41 (11-06-2019)
Old 03-04-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Hands down best exhaust to have for f bodies IMO. If you do a setup like this one I built then you cant tell the difference in sound between it and dual 3" x pipe. I actually think this setup made more power than my 3" duals with x pipe plus its lighter and its all welded together and installs/removes with a snap!
pretty much what mine looks like but my exaust welded at slight angle
Old 03-04-2014, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say that and I want to believe it but I have a hard time believing any oryp has no rasp to it at part throttle under a load.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd run it over the axle an put a muffler in the stock location.
This way you'll have a lot better muffler selection.
IMO, Better selection means better chance you'll get what you really want.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ho...9hkr/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17557/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qtp-12400/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fl...0-10/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14153/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-12594/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bor-40947/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bor-40948/overview/
Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
You say that and I want to believe it but I have a hard time believing any oryp has no rasp to it at part throttle under a load.
I have built duals with x pipe just like the tsp duals, and if you run them out the back it rasp as bad as any y pipe you ever heard. I added some extensions to mine one time and ran my duals out the back versus dumped and them bastards came back off the same day. Its crazy how the duals went from deep and no rasp to sounding like a loudmouth with ory by running them out the back.

Bottom line is this. The LS engines are probably rasping with any exhaust you put on it around the 2800-3200 range under load. You dont get rid of it, you just muffle it. Dumping the exhaust gives the sound a place to resonate. The undercarriage of the car muffles the exhaust and acts like a chamber to resonate in.

Imagine a subwoofer box in your trunk with the trunklid down. Its booming, its deep and clean. Open up the trunk or sit the subwoofer box outside and the subs sound like complete crap. They just need something for the sound to resonate in.

I have literally built every exhaust imaginable for f bodies. I know what something is gonna sound like before I make it.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

I have built duals with x pipe just like the tsp duals, and if you run them out the back it rasp as bad as any y pipe you ever heard. I added some extensions to mine one time and ran my duals out the back versus dumped and them bastards came back off the same day. Its crazy how the duals went from deep and no rasp to sounding like a loudmouth with ory by running them out the back.

Bottom line is this. The LS engines are probably rasping with any exhaust you put on it around the 2800-3200 range under load. You dont get rid of it, you just muffle it. Dumping the exhaust gives the sound a place to resonate. The undercarriage of the car muffles the exhaust and acts like a chamber to resonate in.

Imagine a subwoofer box in your trunk with the trunklid down. Its booming, its deep and clean. Open up the trunk or sit the subwoofer box outside and the subs sound like complete crap. They just need something for the sound to resonate in.

I have literally built every exhaust imaginable for f bodies. I know what something is gonna sound like before I make it.
Didn't know that about the duals. I had the TSP duals with the classic chambered mufflers turned down and man did it sound sweet. I have had Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Dynomax,, and Hooker catbacks all with LT's and oryp's and all of them had some rasp like you mentioned. This was why I had my doubts but If the TD's have rasp when run out the back then maybe the turndown in your setup is the key? I thought the x pipe would be the major factor in eliminating the rasp and not a ypipe as this was how my personal results played out but maybe not. The only turned down setup I have had was the TD's so maybe I didn't give the ypipe's a fair chance.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Look at the pic of the exhaust i posted. Imagine if you cut the merge right where it transistions from the funnel shape to round pipe. If I simply added added two pieces of 3" pipe right there instead of one 4" pipe do you really think thats gonna change anything? I mean we are only talking about about a short 2' piece of pipe at the most.

Even x pipe merge two pipes into one. Its then split into two pipes instead of one but on a dumped setup its just a measley 2 foot section of pipe.

My car felt stronger with this system than my duals. I think it flows better because this merge is much better than an x because the pipes are running parallel to each other as apposed to coming together at a 45* angle or even more. Also the x merge is taking two 3" pipes and squeezing them into a merge about the size of a single 3" section as apposed to the flowmaster merge gradually going from a 6" wide section down to a 4" section. After the merge there simply is not enough pipe left to change one way or the other with respect to flow (Single 4" or dual 3").

I went this route indefinately because it sounded as good as duals, outperformed duals, was lighter than duals, easier to install and remove than duals, and fit the car better than duals because it followed the factory exhaust location. This setup works with all torque arm styles, The pre fabbed duals that are out there for these cars will not work with body mounted torque arms.

The key is the bottleneck between the two setups. The x pipe has much more of a bottleneck at the merge.

Everytime I chime in and post a pic of my y pipe exhaust I start getting messages about wanting one built. I am officially out of the business. I only have room for certain things in my life right now and unfortunately racing and working on cars is no longer one of them.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After ditching the crappy 3" ORY I installed the 3" into 4" from Mufflex and welded in about 20" of 4" then reduced to 3" going over the axle into my Borla. Hell I picked up 2 mph with this change. I have NO rasp.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Mine runs into a reducer into an SLP dual/dual but I rarely shut the cutout. Here's the best sound clips I have.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

OP, I run the 3" in 4" out FM merge with a Magnaflow 14419, but i'm running it out the tail pipes. Regarless, what impressed me was the power gain and rasp reduction with just a simple exhaust modification. My Pacesetter ORY had the crappiest merge i've ever seen lol. Just for reference my car is a HCI + 100 shot
Old 03-06-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Added the Bullet to eliminate the rasp. 4" exhaust when I need it, Magnaflow to keep it quiet if the time requires it. Everything was chopped to the absolute max to be able to incorporate the muffler and have a good cutout placement w/ very minimal muffler / floor massaging. Painted in high temp grill paint.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Nice BlackDuk. What bends did you need to go into the flowmaster merge? i need to know, b/c I am going to do almost the same thing this spring.....
Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Everything I used to build this to also flow through the magnaflow catback when I needed it to be quieter. I don't have all the part numbers, but you get the idea.

I purchased a generic Summit u-bend and used that to cut exact angles to turn from the y pipe to the flowmaster merge: sum-622004

sum-g2990 (o2 bung)
flo-y300400 (merge)
wlk-41989 (reducer into catback)
wlk-33274 (stainless slip fit clamps)
wlk-24217 (4" bullet)
wlk-41367 (turndown)
sum-622004 (pipe to custom cut to tie into merge)
qtp 4" stainless cutout pipe
qtp 4" electric cutout
Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Big props, nice setup BlackDuk98.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Big props, nice setup BlackDuk98.
Thanks for the compliments. If memory serves me, you were the big promoter of the merge setup on here a few years back that helped a lot of people with improving their exhaust setups.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I also did the 3in to 4in FM merge with a 4in QTP cutout pipe reduced down and the rasp was gone, with my Hooker AeroChamber it was loud when I needed it and quiet when it needed to be.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

Wouldnt hurt my feelings if this was a sticky. ????
Old 03-07-2014, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

blackduk98

Do you have any videos? I'd like to see what it sounds like. Hopefully Ill be doing this in the next couple weeks, alread have the merge and cutout.

Quick Reply: Anyone do a 3" y to flowmaster merge and single 4" out dumped?